• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin O'Neill, RIP

11 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, MisterX said:

Kevin O'Neill, The Man The Comics Code Tried To Ban, Has Died At 69 (bleedingcool.com)

This one sucks. Loved 2000AD as a surly teenager. (Still do as a surly adult!)

Credo, Mr. O'Neill!

why did the comics code oppose his green lantern art?

On 11/7/2022 at 6:03 PM, MisterX said:

Short version: they hated it. His style was too grotesque for them to handle.

Longer version --

Kevin O'Neill, League of Extraordinary Gentleman Co-Creator, Dies (cbr.com)

so, why they never went after liefeld and ramos?

Erik Larsen and modern Frank Miller art is just as unintentionally horrific as that of Rob and Humberto, but Kev's art was like it was on purpose.

He was a one-of-a-kind in the very best sense. 

Marshal Law was one of my favorites of his, and of course, O'Neill's work on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was instantly classic from the very. I loved the "Cinema Purgatorio" series from his later career, also written by Alan Moore.

Rest in peace, Kevin O'Neill.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:07 AM, jdandns said:

Erik Larsen and modern Frank Miller art is just as unintentionally horrific as that of Rob and Humberto, but Kev's art was like it was on purpose.

He was a one-of-a-kind in the very best sense. 

Marshal Law was one of my favorites of his, and of course, O'Neill's work on League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was instantly classic from the very. I loved the "Cinema Purgatorio" series from his later career, also written by Alan Moore.

Rest in peace, Kevin O'Neill.

Yup . I always felt his work had more of a deliberately unsettling, raw, underground-like edge to it, especially in Marshall Law, and you can’t really compare him directly to comic artists like Miller, Larsen, Ramos and Liefeld, creating in styles for a contemporary mainstream, for Batman, Spider-Man, X-Force etc.

Edited by Ken Aldred