• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokemon Base Set 1st Edition Gray Stamps CGC Separate Registry & Error Cards Registry

Should Pokemon Base 1st Edition Set Gray Stamp Be it's own Set within the Registry?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pokemon Base 1st Edition Set Gray Stamp Be it's own set within the CGC Registry and Not mixed?

• Yes - Gray Stamp should be separate
    • No - Gray Stamp should be

5 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

As a collector and currently working on completing my Pokemon Base Set 1st Edition registry set, I think 1st Edition Gray Stamps should have their own separate category within the registry from the normal 1st edition stamp cards. I think collectors should be recognized for acquiring these cards as they build their own separate set out within the registry. These gray stamps are exclusive and conquering such quality condition of these is highly challenging. Plus many collectors like myself find these alternative gray stamp cards apart from the original 1st edition stamps.

Looking Deeper into this- 

If one person completes all 102/102 for their 1st edition base set, the registry only recognizes this as 50%-52% complete and not 100%. This is just 1 example as there are many others.

I think error cards need to have their own category in the registry in regards to the set or it's own time era. For example - Fossil Error Cards OR WOTC Pokemon Error Cards. Not everyone collects error cards. It has its own niche. It hinders other people that are trying to complete their CGC sets.

On the same token, it also hinders people that collect error cards as they should be recognized for this achievement and rarity. 

I think doing this will help people complete their CGC registry sets and encourage people to continue to grade with CGC. 

• Administrator
On 11/12/2022 at 9:29 AM, The Pullfather said:

Hey Guys,

As a collector and currently working on completing my Pokemon Base Set 1st Edition registry set, I think 1st Edition Gray Stamps should have their own separate category within the registry from the normal 1st edition stamp cards. I think collectors should be recognized for acquiring these cards as they build their own separate set out within the registry. These gray stamps are exclusive and conquering such quality condition of these is highly challenging. Plus many collectors like myself find these alternative gray stamp cards apart from the original 1st edition stamps.

If one person completes all 102/102 for their 1st edition base set, the registry only recognizes this as 50%-52% complete and not 100%. This is just 1 example as there are many others.

I think error cards need to have their own category in the registry in regards to the set or it's own time era. For example - Fossil Error Cards OR WOTC Pokemon Error Cards. Not everyone collects error cards. It has its own niche. It hinders other people that are trying to complete their CGC sets.

On the same token, it also hinders people that collect error cards as they should be recognized for this achievement and rarity. 

I think doing this will help people complete their CGC registry sets and encourage people to continue to grade with CGC. 

Thanks so much for the suggestion! As @JoshsPkmnCollection mentioned, we do have a thread posted for opinions on what sets you'd like to see up next. We would love to see any other suggestions you may have! :) 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:29 PM, The Pullfather said:

Hey Guys,

I'm actively working on a 1st Edition Base Set also, and I alternatively would like the gray stamp and regular stamps to count equally so if I have half gray stamp and half regular stamp I would still have a complete collection.

• Administrator
On 2/2/2023 at 10:19 PM, NamesJay said:

I'm actively working on a 1st Edition Base Set also, and I alternatively would like the gray stamp and regular stamps to count equally so if I have half gray stamp and half regular stamp I would still have a complete collection.

Thanks for the suggestion! We have added the Gray Stamp cards as an option in the Base Set - 1st Edition set. So you can complete the set using either a 1st Edition card, or a 1st Edition Gray Stamp card.