• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

recent feebay market changes....

40 posts in this topic

There's no question his absence from ebay has made a huge difference, and it'll be interesting to see who eventually picks up the slack, should it ever happen... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, other than the books from the Rosa collection and greggy's sweet, sweet 100-pagers, there have been very few of the tougher Bronze Age DC's offered on ebay in high grade recently. Perhaps that explains the top prices quality material continues to bring? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is a very nice 'Tec 400 on Pedigree right now though! thumbsup2.gif

I also think that there will be movement into other parts of the hobby - I've noticed that pre-code horror and mainstream GA, even in average grades, have been getting much higher prices recently - in some cases silly prices.

It looks as if JE's departure has not shrunk the pool of avid collectors, but forced them to diversify which in turn heats up other areas of the market.

Dammit. mad.gif

There's no question his absence from ebay has made a huge difference, and it'll be interesting to see who eventually picks up the slack, should it ever happen... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, other than the books from the Rosa collection and greggy's sweet, sweet 100-pagers, there have been very few of the tougher Bronze Age DC's offered on ebay in high grade recently. Perhaps that explains the top prices quality material continues to bring? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is a very nice 'Tec 400 on Pedigree right now though! thumbsup2.gif

I also think that there will be movement into other parts of the hobby - I've noticed that pre-code horror and mainstream GA, even in average grades, have been getting much higher prices recently - in some cases silly prices.

It looks as if JE's departure has not shrunk the pool of avid collectors, but forced them to diversify which in turn heats up other areas of the market.

Dammit. mad.gif

I suppose pre-code horror looks like a bargain these days compared to the spike in post-code horror the last few years!! foreheadslap.gif

What Ewert's actions has done is placed a stigma on Bronze Age slabs. People who were paying well for these comics know that the vast majority of Ewert's slabs were from this Age. Not that these comics were particularly rare in grade from the get-go...but now collectors with money to burn would tend to avoid HG Bronze slabs as a matter of avoiding any potential problems in the future...

CGC releasing this info, and you all can stop your posts now in regards in responding saying "potential litigation", could alleviate this emerging trend.

And with that said...has anyone actually said they're going to sue CGC, or is this potential litigation conjecture...or just excuse making?

Jim

What Ewert's actions has done is placed a stigma on Bronze Age slabs. People who were paying well for these comics know that the vast majority of Ewert's slabs were from this Age. Not that these comics were particularly rare in grade from the get-go...but now collectors with money to burn would tend to avoid HG Bronze slabs as a matter of avoiding any potential problems in the future...

CGC releasing this info, and you all can stop your posts now in regards in responding saying "potential litigation", could alleviate this emerging trend.

And with that said...has anyone actually said they're going to sue CGC, or is this potential litigation conjecture...or just excuse making?

Jim

What emerging trend? From what I've seen, sales prices of the DC Bronze age slabs that have been offered since CGC was outed don't reflect any negative stigma from the Ewert fiasco. Have you seen any good deals on slabbed DC's lately? I suspect it could be due to the supply drying up since Jason isn't offering those sweet, sweet DC's on ebay any more, and other than the Rosa books, no one else is offering them either.

In regards to your second comment, pending litigation is certainly one reason CGC would not want to release the Ewert serial numbers, but more importantly, they should not release confidential information, period. CGC has told me my submittal information is confidential, and I fully expect them to honor that confidentiality - anything less is totally unacceptable. sumo.gif

That said, I'm 99% confident that there's a folder/file sitting on Borock's desk/hard drive with a ready-to-go list of Ewert books once any potential subpoena arrives. thumbsup2.gif

In regards to your second comment, pending litigation is certainly one reason CGC would not want to release the Ewert serial numbers, but more importantly, they should not release confidential information, period. CGC has told me my submittal information is confidential, and I fully expect them to honor that confidentiality - anything less is totally unacceptable. sumo.gif

Even if you're scamming people and have slabs out there that are not what they seem?

From a decent seller, I buy this...but from sellers that are proven scammers, and have a passed a product that's tainted and potentially in error, in the marketplace, then the confidentiality clause becomes void when collectors can potentially be duped into buying their flawed product...

Jim

Jim, to me this issue is black and white - pending a signed release form or a subpoena, CGC should not release the Ewert serial numbers. They tell their customers their data is confidential, and they need to honor that commitment. To break their word would be unprofessional, and just plain bad business.

As a consumer, I want to know every book that Jason has ever submitted, but as a privacy advocate, I hope CGC does what is right before releasing the list.

Jim, to me this issue is black and white - pending a signed release form or a subpoena, CGC should not release the Ewert serial numbers. They tell their customers their data is confidential, and they need to honor that commitment. To break their word would be unprofessional, and just plain bad business.

As a consumer, I want to know every book that Jason has ever submitted, but as a privacy advocate, I hope CGC does what is right before releasing the list.

Mike, where do they make this claim at?

In their FAQ, amongst other places. It's just common sense as well - nobody needs to know my business but me, and I would expect the same from my doctor, my banker, etc.,. confused-smiley-013.gif

In their FAQ, amongst other places. It's just common sense as well - nobody needs to know my business but me, and I would expect the same from my doctor, my banker, etc.,. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well Mike...I haven't seen this confidentiality agreement on any official paperwork I can find. Could be a case of them saying it's so but not putting it in writing, other than generic press, to give them flexibility. Similar to the wording of their guarantee on the label...

Jim

Does your doctor give you a written statement detailing his burden of confidentiality??? Would it be o.k. for him to give out your medical records to the general public if you were accused of child molestation?

Weak...is that the best you all can do?

Jim

This is generally the type of statement people make when they know they've lost an argument but can't admit defeat and feel a need to have the last word. So with that I'll let you have whatever satisfaction you are getting from harping on this issue.

This is generally the type of statement people make when they know they've lost an argument but can't admit defeat and feel a need to have the last word. So with that I'll let you have whatever satisfaction you are getting from harping on this issue.

So you're comparing a company protecting a faulty product further purchased in the marketplace to a health practioner covering for a child molester? And you're saying my argument is off base... frustrated.gif

It's extreme hyperbole such as this in defending CGC's actions that make some of you look like insufficiently_thoughtful_persons... makepoint.gif

Jim

I think he has a valid point, Jim. You first said "I haven't seen this confidentiality agreement on any official paperwork I can find", implying that CGC therefore have no obligation of confidentiality towards their customers. LordRahl responded by pointing out that doctors don't have any written confidentiality agreements in place with their patients either, and surely you must concede that doctors nonetheless have an obligation of confidentiality towards their patients. So the point that an obligation of confidentiality may exist even in the absence of a signed confidentiality agreement was established.

Finally, LordRahl used a very extreme example to underscore his point: if a doctor, who doesn't have a written confidentiality agreement with his patients, must still observe confidentiality even with someone as horrific as a child molester, then why would a company like CGC be permitted to break its confidentiality obligation over a much, much lesser alleged crime?

I tend to look at it another way...

Meat plant provides bad product to packager. Packager clears meat and sends out for consumption. Finds out later meat was bad. Puts out an all-points bulletin to include stcok numbers to make public aware.

Packager looks bad for letting faulty product out their door but does the right thing in making all efforts to make public aware of the Meat plant's error...

We aren't talking about lawyers or doctors here. None of them produce a product for mass consumption in the marketplace...

Jim

The difference is that the meat producer doesn't have any duty of confidentiality to any individuals. Same thing with J&J in the Tylenol recall, or a car company doing a recall. There's no duty of confidentiality to any individual. Surely you can see the difference?

Perhaps you don't think it's a big deal, but if CGC released info on books that I had submitted to them, short of them being legally compelled to do so, I would be furious. Same thing with Heritage or Comiclink or other anonymous consignment site disclosing what I had sold through them.

The difference is that the meat producer doesn't have any duty of confidentiality to any individuals. Same thing with J&J in the Tylenol recall, or a car company doing a recall. There's no duty of confidentiality to any individual. Surely you can see the difference?

Perhaps you don't think it's a big deal, but if CGC released info on books that I had submitted to them, short of them being legally compelled to do so, I would be furious. Same thing with Heritage or Comiclink or other anonymous consignment site disclosing what I had sold through them.

The question is...is that expectation misplaced? As far as I can see, there isn't anything compelling CGC to keep comics you submitted confidential.

I understand you expect that to be so...but some instances, and I believe this to be one, suggest for the good for their product/reputation, not to mention the marketplace they cater to, for this type info to be released...

Jim

Actually, what pissed me off more than all the pressing etc. was the fact that JE was somehow "allowed" by cons and dealers to go thru early and cherry pick before the average collectors could even get in the doors. Except for Ted's booth,...( and metro which was to expensive for me) I found nothing at the chicago con.

Agreed! Excellent post thumbsup2.gif

Actually, what pissed me off more than all the pressing etc. was the fact that JE was somehow "allowed" by cons and dealers to go thru early and cherry pick before the average collectors could even get in the doors. Except for Ted's booth,...( and metro which was to expensive for me) I found nothing at the chicago con.

You know...looking from a dealer perspective, if Ewert was willing to pay my regular price and add in multiple sales, even before the doors opened, I can't fault them for it. Sucks for the common collector but for a dealer, his sales could mean the difference between a bad con and a great con...

I'd get used to it as Ewert is far from the only buyer given such privileges...

Jim

You know...looking from a dealer perspective, if Ewert was willing to pay my regular price and add in multiple sales, even before the doors opened, I can't fault them for it. Sucks for the common collector but for a dealer, his sales could mean the difference between a bad con and a great con...

I'd get used to it as Ewert is far from the only buyer given such privileges...

Jim

Lets be clear, Ewert always tried to get a discount, in most cases, successfully