• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Wolvering 75 Possible Blue Hologram
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if I could get a little advise on this copy of Wolverine 75 as I am still getting the hang of grading and was curious in particular about this being a potential blue error.

Wolv75c.jpg.94079d11882eee629bde374e6d4f1662.jpgwolv75b.jpg.ce79b55199312cf127876976dfb584ac.jpg

There is some creasing and color breaks in the spine in the upper left corner as seen here. In addition the hologram seems to have some cracking going on in the lower left section. Not sure if this is signs of trying to distort the hologram or just something that happens over time. Do any of you folks happen to know if that has much of an impact on the grading?wolv75corner.jpg.bb648d2a6c34b3538fdc0e10c6b1a75e.jpg

When it comes to trying to identify if this is a blue hologram error is it all or nothing type deal? There is only a little green tint when seen from an angle in one direction as seen in the images here. I am including other angles of the hologram for comparison as it has a rich deep blue from every other angle.

Any advise on if this is a true error copy or what the grade rang would be is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

wolv75side.jpg.d43394a537be86a4fff2b70311c7f040.jpgwolv75side1.jpg.64c461e6e45bec90826ffb50e8eacea4.jpgwolv75side2.jpg.0b7c28ccce961067296c91c851517dfa.jpg

@Loading... I would surmise the following:

About an 8.0/8.5 with that top staple crunch, perhaps a press would help.

On the blue distortion:

As one who has a Complete set of the fatal attractions distorted holograms, except the X-men 25 white and gold variants that, it'll pass the test.

Here is the most lenient one I've ever had, this x-force wasn't one, until I called and had them reconsider. It came back as one so there is that.

4260618_Full_Rev.jpg

On 11/18/2022 at 5:19 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Loading... I would surmise the following:

About an 8.0/8.5 with that top staple crunch, perhaps a press would help.

On the blue distortion:

As one who has a Complete set of the fatal attractions distorted holograms, except the X-men 25 white and gold variants that, it'll pass the test.

Here is the most lenient one I've ever had, this x-force wasn't one, until I called and had them reconsider. It came back as one so there is that.

4260618_Full_Rev.jpg

Great to hear @ADAMANTIUM As I said I was a bit trepidatious about the copy as soon as I saw it. So thank you for sharing your experiences with the distorted holograms. It is reassuring to see your copy of X-force 25 as the blue is still that dark rich blue that isn’t the same as the regular copy I had as a child.

Btw that’s a great fun collecting goal to have with all the distorted holos. I remember 11 year old me having my mind blown during the fatal attractions run. 

Thanks again!

On 11/18/2022 at 4:53 PM, Loading... said:

Great to hear @ADAMANTIUM As I said I was a bit trepidatious about the copy as soon as I saw it. So thank you for sharing your experiences with the distorted holograms. It is reassuring to see your copy of X-force 25 as the blue is still that dark rich blue that isn’t the same as the regular copy I had as a child.

Btw that’s a great fun collecting goal to have with all the distorted holos. I remember 11 year old me having my mind blown during the fatal attractions run. 

Thanks again!

Indeed! And your green kind of shows all blue from other angles, so does my xforce :)

I remember being with friends who were able to get comics easier than I coming home with fatal attractions. They lived near the grocery store, while I was near a gas station. Different strokes on being young and riding bicycles 😂

I still have my childhood copies, one of the few sets I never parted with, but none are in great condition nor are they distorted. Readers !

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

That should absolutely get the distorted hologram notation.

As an aside, I've never been entirely convinced how many of these blue holograms represent manufacturing defects and how many represent how these holograms may tend to age over time. Most research on archival preservation of holograms has been concerned with silver-halide-on-glass holograms rather than plastic because that's the technique that was generally employed for holographic art produced by Serious Artists (although the presence of hologram logos and labels on all sorts of things makes that an increasingly relevant question). For example, this paper from 2013, which does note some holograms tend to age from green to blue. However, that mechanism that causes the observed color shift doesn't directly apply to these holograms because of the difference in the materials involved.

Still, it makes you wonder.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, Qalyar said:

That should absolutely get the distorted hologram notation.

As an aside, I've never been entirely convinced how many of these blue holograms represent manufacturing defects and how many represent how these holograms may tend to age over time. Most research on archival preservation of holograms has been concerned with silver-halide-on-glass holograms rather than plastic because that's the technique that was generally employed for holographic art produced by Serious Artists (although the presence of hologram logos and labels on all sorts of things makes that an increasingly relevant question). For example, this paper from 2013, which does note some holograms tend to age from green to blue. However, that mechanism that causes the observed color shift doesn't directly apply to these holograms because of the difference in the materials involved.

Still, it makes you wonder.

Wow that was an informative read @Qalyar Thanks for the information!

As you said, it is interesting to see that "For reflection holograms, colour change is a common problem, particularly a shift from red to blue; while yellow images can change from a gold hue to green. It has been suggested that this colour change is closely related to the thickness of the gelatin layer; swelling can cause a red shift and shrinkage a blue shift." I agree it seems plausible the the natural degradation of the materials is causing a shift towards a darker blue color. I think if the hobby as a whole starts to discover more and more "error holograms" a conversation will need to be had about about the validity of the error.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, Loading... said:

Thanks for all the input everyone it's greatly appreciated! I'll be including this with my next shipment to CGC and will update this when I get it back eventually.

yep let us know this time next year when you get it hopefully back by then lol