• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for advice on buying a safe
3 3

34 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2022 at 8:16 PM, WolverineX said:
On 11/20/2022 at 5:26 PM, lizards2 said:

Used diaper hamper?

Hidden safe in your used diaper hamper?  

Put a load on every slab. 2c

On 11/20/2022 at 8:48 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'd probably build a hidden door leading to a collectors room that is very well concealed. I believe Jim Lee has one of those in his house. I thought it was pretty cool.

Not a secret anymore..., :shiftyeyes:

On 11/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Safe deposit box?  I know some on here use them but you have to make sure the bank doesn't turn off the HVAC at night/weekends.

with the amount of truly high-end, high-value books that Lou has, he'd need dozens of safe deposit boxes. and they have to be the 10x10 ones which are quite difficult to find. 

here in portlandia, i have learned that none of the banks, including where i have my 3 boxes, have the safe deposit rooms climate controlled. once, i went in after a heat wave and the room was disgustingly hot. so much for that box. in los angeles, the whole bank is usually climate controlled as it's such a necessity there. so that seems to depend on where you live in addition to the individual bank. but it does not seem to be a practical option for lou unless he's just talking about 24 books or less. you can get about 12 books in one 10x10 safe deposit box. 

On 11/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, alexgross.com said:

with the amount of truly high-end, high-value books that Lou has, he'd need dozens of safe deposit boxes. and they have to be the 10x10 ones which are quite difficult to find. 

here in portlandia, i have learned that none of the banks, including where i have my 3 boxes, have the safe deposit rooms climate controlled. once, i went in after a heat wave and the room was disgustingly hot. so much for that box. in los angeles, the whole bank is usually climate controlled as it's such a necessity there. so that seems to depend on where you live in addition to the individual bank. but it does not seem to be a practical option for lou unless he's just talking about 24 books or less. you can get about 12 books in one 10x10 safe deposit box. 

The answer, assuming, they don’t scratch up the slabs, is still likely pwcc if its for the long-term. You get a climate controlled state of the art security system. The piece of mind has to be incredible for some big-time collectors.

I think its hard for comic collectors as they like to see them a lot more often than other collectors do. 

On 11/20/2022 at 11:48 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'd probably build a hidden door leading to a collectors room that is very well concealed. I believe Jim Lee has one of those in his house. I thought it was pretty cool.

This is the real answer.  If you own your own home and have a collection worth even a quarter of your home's value, spend the money and build yourself a well concealed safe room.  It can be as small as a 2 sq ft closet built into a wall, under, behind or inside anything that makes it easy to conceal and blend in.  If you have the space, convert a basement or attic room into a full blown safe room and comic room.  There are numerous designs on how to do this on a budget or to survive 50 cal wielding Zombie apocalypse.

The simplest I've seen is just building a room out of cinder blocks, bricks, and/or a 12 guage wire mesh lining, fireproof metal security door and reinforced threshold. It may cost anywhere from $3k to 15k to build it out but it's also adding in some value back into your home. Deck it out with shelving, display lights, a comfy reading chair, a workbench, a firearm and ammo cabinet, and independent air vent and water supply.

And the number 1 rule for doing this is never talk about it or share where you have yours. 

On 10/9/2023 at 12:50 AM, justafan said:

And the number 1 rule for doing this is never talk about it or share where you have yours. 

And, presumably, kill anyone involved in the construction!

Obviously the above is a complete joke, but this was always the first thing I thought about when I was a kid watching James Bond movies, where the villain would have an insane lair (sometimes in the middle of the ocean!) ... how did that thing even get built without everyone finding out about it?

Have you decided which way to go?

I think your best bet (assuming building a vault room, and murdering the construction crew like the pharaohs used to, is out of the question) is to buy as big of a TL-30 safe as you can afford. They run to 72" high and hold a dozen boxes or so.   Maybe two of them!.  You can fit a lot of raws in there and plenty of slabs.   And check your insurance to know EXACTLY what they will pay for!!  "Insured collectibles" doesn't mean what you/we think it does.  

Edited by Aman619

Fort Knox safe with electronic dehumidifier would be pretty expensive, but an excellent choice.  By the way, you can cut open a safe with a Milwaukee Sawzall and diamond blade.  Need monitored alarm with motion detection and battery backup when the electricity goes out.

On 10/11/2023 at 12:06 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Fort Knox safe with electronic dehumidifier would be pretty expensive, but an excellent choice.  By the way, you can cut open a safe with a Milwaukee Sawzall and diamond blade.  Need monitored alarm with motion detection and battery backup when the electricity goes out.

Don't forget the dogs that shoot bees out of their mouth

Oh yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs with bees in their mouth  and when they bark they shoot bees at you? | Simpsons Shitposting | Know  Your Meme

-bc

Edited by bc
grammar fail #12,745

On 10/10/2023 at 5:21 PM, Aman619 said:

And check your insurance to know EXACTLY what they will pay for!!  "Insured collectibles" doesn't mean what you/we think it does.  

Specifically, make sure you find out if there is a single value limit on an item... had that with some of my insured items... I had a collective insurance policy rider of 25K (on other items), but no single item could be more than 5K, unless I had a separate rider for that which included receipts/appraisals and photos with serial numbers/identifying info. And, wouldn't you know it, they did not disclose this... I had to ASK about it...

So, if you are in that boat, be sure to check to make sure your highest items are covered at full value!!!

Always a good idea to write out scenarios of what may happen to your stuff, and ask your insurance provider each of your possible scenarios -- one by one -- to describe how much you will collect.  There was a poster here on the boards years ago who took a valuable piece of OA to a framer.  And the guy accidentally cut it in pieces.  Owner assumed he just had to make a claim and would be made whole.  But, insurance said that he wasn't covered while the piece was in someone else's control/hands.  That he needed to go after the framer's insurance.

and of course the framer had none. Surprise, surprise surprise!

These insurance contracts are written in ways that differ from how we laymen think. "We think, gee my premium is expensive, but Im all set!"  Not necessarily.  Make sure you are getting full coverage for the protection you need.

Edited by Aman619