• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 White Pages Value Difference - Offwhite to White

11 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I wanted to see your opinions on the difference invalue on a 9.8 white pages versus 9.8 off-white.  I have an ASM 135 9.8 in white pages, does not trade much, saw a 9.8 off white sell a few weeks ago at Heritage for $6,600 and trying to understand if it makes much of a difference in value. CGC only shows there are 37 of this comic in a 9.8 but I can not tell how many of them are white pages.

Thanks for any input!

On 11/23/2022 at 1:42 AM, jg44 said:

Greetings,

I wanted to see your opinions on the difference invalue on a 9.8 white pages versus 9.8 off-white.  I have an ASM 135 9.8 in white pages, does not trade much, saw a 9.8 off white sell a few weeks ago at Heritage for $6,600 and trying to understand if it makes much of a difference in value. CGC only shows there are 37 of this comic in a 9.8 but I can not tell how many of them are white pages.

Thanks for any input!

Some (dare I write, I will, likely all) comic book collectors, including me, prefer comic books with white pages. Having said that, I will not pay much more for, to use your example, a CGC designated white-paged copy of ASM 135 9.8 than a copy identified as having off-white pages (or one reportedly having ow-w pages). How much more, $100 (because it reads "White Pages" on the slab which looks very nice).

My reason for this is that CGC has, in my experience, never been consistent with this designation. For example, I have submitted comic books that CGC has identified as having ow-w pages when they have white pages. Conversely, comic books that have, in my view, ow-w pages have been identified as having white pages. It is, if you will, the luck of the draw. Further, over the years many posters have noted, for example, that a comic book initially identified as having ow-w pages was cracked out of the CGC case, perhaps pressed, resubmitted and received a designation of white pages.

I likely provided more information than you care for and, of course, can only note my willingness to pay more for a 9.8 white- paged copy of ASM 135. Perhaps other collectors will pay much more than I for such a copy.

for a book like that, i don't think it makes much difference. it could mean a few less bidders at an auction, but ultimately, if the book is well centered and presents nicely, which many 9.8s do, then OWWP and WP should be similar in price. some buyers just won't bid if it's not WP, but plenty will. 

some books can have white on the spine showing, and there are collectors who do not care for this. see attached. the 9.8 has a big white bar up the left side, whereas the 9.6 does not. many collectors prefer the 9.6 in this case. page quality is less important for them. so, if your book has a white bar it might be less desirable to some collectors. but again, there are many who won't care. 

00009352396000112049784007.jpg

00009352398000114105314001.jpg

On 11/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, alexgross.com said:

for a book like that, i don't think it makes much difference. it could mean a few less bidders at an auction, but ultimately, if the book is well centered and presents nicely, which many 9.8s do, then OWWP and WP should be similar in price. some buyers just won't bid if it's not WP, but plenty will. 

some books can have white on the spine showing, and there are collectors who do not care for this. see attached. the 9.8 has a big white bar up the left side, whereas the 9.6 does not. many collectors prefer the 9.6 in this case. page quality is less important for them. so, if your book has a white bar it might be less desirable to some collectors. but again, there are many who won't care. 

This, miswrap, is a real pet peeve of mine.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:23 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

My reason for this is that CGC has, in my experience, never been consistent with this designation. For example, I have submitted comic books that CGC has identified as having ow-w pages when they have white pages. Conversely, comic books that have, in my view, ow-w pages have been identified as having white pages. It is, if you will, the luck of the draw. 

I have seen a couple instances where OW/W have been cracked, pressed and resubmitted.. and came back W.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I have seen a couple instances where OW/W have been cracked, pressed and resubmitted.. and came back W.

Yes, as I wrote, "[f]urther, over the years many posters have noted, for example, that a comic book initially identified as having ow-w pages was cracked out of the CGC case, perhaps pressed, resubmitted and received a designation of white pages."

On 11/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, alexgross.com said:

I wouldn’t pay a premium for this 9.8 over the 9.6 posted

Thanks guys!  That is actually quite helpful information.  I was expecting to have a general consensus on this but clearly that is not the case.   Some Buyers care and some do not!    Happy Turkey Day to all!!! I appreciate all the input. 

On 11/23/2022 at 12:19 PM, jg44 said:

Thanks guys!  That is actually quite helpful information.  I was expecting to have a general consensus on this but clearly that is not the case.   Some Buyers care and some do not!    Happy Turkey Day to all!!! I appreciate all the input. 

Got a pic of this 135?  How’s the QP?