• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this a 4.0? Wrong label?

43 posts in this topic

There are some more graded examples in this thread Gad - Universal low grades and Qualified high grades from the looks of it:

On 11/30/2022 at 7:46 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nothing surprising in that thread, as far as grades go, though.

OK. I didn't go through it too closely to see if that was the case. I've no idea what CGC do, but I suppose a reasonable approach with hole punched comics would be to grade the book as if the holes weren't there, then deduct an additional  'agreed' amount to take account of them (unless the book grades lower than that agreed amount of course). At the end of the day, it gets dark, and a hole's a hole (get your jokes in now) so it's not like comparing a big missing piece to a different sized piece. I could see how you could apply something uniform.

On 11/30/2022 at 2:52 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

...a hole's a hole...

:devil:

My prior assessment is based off of CGC's "Grading Scales", as 3.5 is the highest grade that allows for, "several major defects". I wonder if their new Grading Guide says something different?

On 11/30/2022 at 7:56 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My prior assessment is based off of CGC's "Grading Scales", as 3.5 is the highest grade that allows for, "several major defects". I wonder if their new Grading Guide says something different?

I wonder if some of their graders have read it? hm

20220624_203637.thumb.jpg.4c7902cb57bd68304684c6ee9448d7ff.thumb.jpg.e107b5747ccbaa7d6fa9317129703617.jpg3HP-Q94.jpg.6ef5018ac8095fac422e22893d269430.jpg.2ac94cbe6c0d8375f598119cf2068b9e.jpg

On 11/30/2022 at 2:56 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The new grading guide gives this flaw a grade range from 3.0 to 5.0. To be honest, I'd be pretty bummed out to get a book like this as a 5.0, and I'd most likely avoid it as a 4.0. 

Personally, I think 3.0 - 3.5 is an appropriate range unless the book is in immaculate condition, in which case it would be eligible for a Qualified label...but that's just my opinion.  :whistle:

On 11/30/2022 at 11:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I might argue uniform 3 hole punch holes are appropriately considered a single major defect, albeit a discontinuous one.  Not sure the graders see it that way, though.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:21 PM, gadzukes said:

I think 3.0 could be appropriate, but going all the way up to 4.0..... :eek:

If I received that book raw as a 4.0, it would be returned for a refund within 24 hours .... but that's me. But then, I won't even accept tape on a 4.0. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/1/2022 at 11:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

IMO, they need to pick a lane. No more of this, "maybe it's Universal, maybe it's Maybelline".

I agree. Chopping and changing just creates confusion. Pick a policy and stick to it. 

On 11/30/2022 at 12:51 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i remember those only getting a 2.0 8 years ago ... my times have changed 

it does present very nicely otherwise

A friend has an AF15 with three thumb tack holes through the whole book and it received a 2.5 and he was told that was the max grade it would get with the three holes.  
He saw those binder holes in books that graded higher and now is contemplating sending it in for a regrade. 

Grader Notes
Center Front Cover Large Crease
Right Center Front Cover Small Tear
Right Top Whole Book Stain Through Book
Spine Crease
Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color
Top Front Cover Crease Breaks Color
Whole Book Multiple Hole Through Book

Image.jpeg