• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JourneyIntoMystery #83 GRADE IS IN
3 3

21 posts in this topic

Nice book :takeit: I've got a fresh $20 bill that should more than cover the 12¢ cover price.

Even though that's a small piece out, this strikes me as a class example of the interior damage not mattering at the grade that the rest of the book is. I see what is some staining or something above the green foot center/left, and IDK what that soiling is on the upper part of the inside cover. I think you're looking at a 5.0/5.5 after C/P. 

On 12/9/2022 at 7:37 PM, KCOComics said:

What's going on with top interior of the back cover. It looks like it could be CT bleed through, but I didn't see any indication on the front cover. 

What is a CT bleed?  I don't have many answers.  Bought raw as a kid in the early 80's and hid away in a box in AZ.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:42 PM, Paul Whitthorne said:

What is a CT bleed?  I don't have many answers.  Bought raw as a kid in the early 80's and hid away in a box in AZ.

"color touch" 

Basically someone tried to improve the appearance by coloring it in. Professionals can do really nice work. Amateurs may use magic market. Especially in the 80s.

I don't see any color touch, but I do think there is tear seal, which would be restoration. Other's may know more than me. 

On 12/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, KCOComics said:

"color touch" 

Basically someone tried to improve the appearance by coloring it in. Professionals can do really nice work. Amateurs may use magic market. Especially in the 80s.

I don't see any color touch, but I do think there is tear seal, which would be restoration. Other's may know more than me. 

Thank you! And thanks for guiding me over to this page to get some advice.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:53 PM, Paul Whitthorne said:

Thank you! And thanks for guiding me over to this page to get some advice.

Your very welcome. Helping collectors is what I really enjoy about the hobby! 

I'm excited to see what some of the experts here say. 

Hi, 

Note the arrow I drew on your image pointing to the area that we suspect is color touch bleed through. Ink added going through the front cover to the interior. Have a look at the letters at the top of the front cover, specifically the word "JOURNEY" and look to see if any of the black of the letters have been inked over. If you hold the book and move it around so that the light of the room passes over the cover if it has been color touched it will be revealed because the ink added will reflect the light different than the sheen of a printed cover. 

I think the book presents well and I see it getting a 4.0 possible 4.5 grade.

JIM 83.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 12/9/2022 at 8:28 PM, Artboy99 said:

Hi, 

Note the arrow I drew on your image pointing to the area that we suspect is color touch bleed through. Ink added going through the front cover to the interior. Have a look at the letters at the top of the front cover, specifically the word "JOURNEY" and look to see if any of the black of the letters have been inked over. If you hold the book and move it around so that the light of the room passes over the cover if it has been color touched it will be revealed because the ink added will reflect the light different than the sheen of a printed cover. 

I think the book presents well and I see it getting a 4.0 possible 4.5 grade.

JIM 83.jpg

No uneven reflection, no flare with blacklight.  Looks almost like some kind of oil stain with unknown darker spots on inside cover.

Also a little fingerprint transfer over the U and R in Journey (cover)

On 12/9/2022 at 9:51 PM, Paul Whitthorne said:

No uneven reflection, no flare with blacklight.  Looks almost like some kind of oil stain with unknown darker spots on inside cover.

Also a little fingerprint transfer over the U and R in Journey (cover)

The closer pictures do look more like stains and not CT or tear seal. If that's the case, the good news is, it's not restored.

The bad news is, those stains will impact the grade.  It could end up a very pretty 3.5 

I have a similar Hulk 2 

On 12/9/2022 at 9:15 PM, KCOComics said:

The closer pictures do look more like stains and not CT or tear seal. If that's the case, the good news is, it's not restored.

The bad news is, those stains will impact the grade.  It could end up a very pretty 3.5 

I have a similar Hulk 2 

Yeah.  Looks more like small stains.  And you can see the same spots on the cover in a pattern that would suggest stain rather than CT.  I’m at 4.5/5.0 with the general wear, the stains, and the creased lower front cover.  Let us know what you get when it gets back.