• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tashen the Fantastic worlds of Frank Frazetta JAN 6,2023...50 years in the making

81 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2023 at 4:17 PM, exitmusicblue said:

The book itself feels like a work of art, basically.

Gotcha, the Frank Frazetta is very nice.  Are there any other Taschens that I should also look up?  I saw there was an ASM one.  Looks like they sell for lower than MSRP now on ebay... do these typically go down in price as time goes on?

Edited by WolverineX

On 2/21/2023 at 1:25 PM, WolverineX said:

Gotcha, the Frank Frazetta is very nice.  Are there any other Taschens that I should also look up?  I saw there was an ASM one.  Looks like they sell for lower than MSRP now on ebay... do these typically go down in price as time goes on?

I like the Fantastic Four vol....that is discounted if you check......the artwork blow up is fanstastic..!!!!

On 2/21/2023 at 9:25 PM, WolverineX said:

There's a great EC book, ASM, Avengers and Fantastic Four.  Basically, the Marvel series are like reading oversized comic-books (in look and feel) , complete with all house-ads.  Absolutely wonderful stuff that I'd highly recommend!

On 2/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, cstojano said:

Aren't these youtube videos making the point that the reproduction quality on the Taschen is lacking? Skipped around the video a bit but it seems to be the case vs the Vanguard book. 

Yeah, they are saying the pictures are not as "bright" or vibrant  as the vanguard book. 

On 2/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, cstojano said:

Aren't these youtube videos making the point that the reproduction quality on the Taschen is lacking? Skipped around the video a bit but it seems to be the case vs the Vanguard book. 

On 2/22/2023 at 11:31 AM, WolverineX said:

Yeah, they are saying the pictures are not as "bright" or vibrant  as the vanguard book. 

On 2/22/2023 at 11:33 AM, cstojano said:

Color shifts, oversaturation, loss of detail in the darks.

Eeek, $200, EEK!!

On 2/22/2023 at 2:22 PM, cstojano said:

I was considering the 600 dollar one because I am a sucker and also dislike dust jackets as being too precious. 

What are you going to do after these reviews?  I'm on the fence... I don't own any Frazetta books so wondering if this is a good enough comprehensive version or just get several of the cheaper ones.

On 2/22/2023 at 12:33 PM, WolverineX said:

What are you going to do after these reviews?  I'm on the fence... I don't own any Frazetta books so wondering if this is a good enough comprehensive version or just get several of the cheaper ones.

Hope it sells out to remove the temptation. I will likely pass but not for the production issues. I had one Taschen book and its just too big. I am selling most of my books because they are just too damn heavy, and this is even worse.

Seriously, if interested in Frazetta books I would sell you my library for a deal :)

On 2/22/2023 at 6:16 PM, cstojano said:

Hope it sells out to remove the temptation. I will likely pass but not for the production issues. I had one Taschen book and its just too big. I am selling most of my books because they are just too damn heavy, and this is even worse.

Seriously, if interested in Frazetta books I would sell you my library for a deal :)

Man,  you are going to make me cancel my order... what is in your library

I received the ultimate insult this morning. Amazon canceled my order due to "lack of availability". They sat they are "sorry" for the inconvenience.......folks it is no wonder their stock has gone from a high point of over $170 a share in the last year to $98.....Cheap Graphic Novels here I come from now on!!!!!!!

On 3/24/2023 at 6:27 PM, MrBedrock said:

I completely agree with Mitch on this. In fact one of the pieces Vanguard touts as being superior in their book is the Spiderman painting I own. I think the reproduction in the Taschen book is way better. But it is all just opinion, and mine is that the Taschen book is really pretty incredible.

Thanks sir, good to know.  Still waiting on my preorder. Might keep it now.  Don't own any other hardbacks.