• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this older CGC slab that I picked up off ebay tampered or broken?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

All - 

I just received this slab from USPS off of ebay.  The posting showed the scratch (see picture) on the slab, and I was planning on getting it reholdered since it is an older slab.  The scratch appears to be on the *inside of the case* and there are some cracks along the exterior.  Does this look like tampering or is it just stress cracking?  In your opinions, will this require a regrade or will CGC simply reholder it?  Thanks for your input!

IMG-6267.jpg

IMG-6266.jpg

IMG-6268.jpg

A reholder will cost about $55. It's $20 for the service, $5 admin charge, $30 total shipping both ways. Plus risks of damage while shipping, cracking it out, any handling at all. But maybe you got it at a good price, so it's in the budget.

Signs of tampering:

VERY obvious attempts to open and reseal the case.

High enough value to make the fraud worthwhile, like $500+. The higher the value, the higher the risk of tampering. 

You bought a 9.0 but it looks like a 3.0.

Tampering is close to 0%. So many times you see someone asking if their $125 comic has been tampered with. No. (Not referring to this comic)

Thanks guys.  I am sending in other books to grade and a couple of older slabs to re-holder.  I don't like the scratches on this one nor the label so it's going to hitch a ride with the other submissions.  I appreciate all of the feedback!

I mean if you just got this from eBay and the damage wasn’t in the picture, maybe just return it

So what happens if you send in for a reholder but CGC notice that the comic is not that grade any more due to deterioration or shaken comic syndrome? Does it get returned to you untouched by CGC, still in the same holder? (You've only paid for reholder in this scenario, not for a regrade.)

On 12/18/2022 at 10:56 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

So what happens if you send in for a reholder but CGC notice that the comic is not that grade any more due to deterioration or shaken comic syndrome? Does it get returned to you untouched by CGC, still in the same holder? (You've only paid for reholder in this scenario, not for a regrade.)

CGC will only re-grade it if the slab has appeared to damage the comic. IIRC, someone create a thread when they were pizzed off that their comic was re-graded because of SCS.

It's probably fair to say that it's extremely rare when a re-holder gets re-graded.

On 12/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Regrading a reholder isn't for the submitter, it's for CGC's reputation. It doesn't matter what was paid for.