• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Iron Man #1
2 2

13 posts in this topic

very hard to grade in a bag or holder (I recommend always taking pre-grading photos when possible). It does have a long color breaking crease across the front cover. It doesn't look terrible, but according to the CGC Guide, I'd say the max is 6.0, but I can see at least some minor handling defects, so anything betweem 5.0-6.0 would be reasonable IMO.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:53 PM, scburdet said:

very hard to grade in a bag or holder (I recommend always taking pre-grading photos when possible). It does have a long color breaking crease across the front cover. It doesn't look terrible, but according to the CGC Guide, I'd say the max is 6.0, but I can see at least some minor handling defects, so anything betweem 5.0-6.0 would be reasonable IMO.

I was thinking 4.5 bc of the scratches across the "I", but yeah hard to tell in case.

On 12/24/2022 at 12:08 PM, zzutak said:

This copy has a 7" color-breaking crease that runs from bottom edge to right edge.  If it was certified with a grade any higher than 5.0 VG/FN, it was mis-graded.  :sumo:

IM1.jpg.727c83ac51d5d528ef943a0cb7982bc5.jpg

I saw that too. 5.5 to 6.0.   I have a very similar defect on my DD #7.  The copy looks solid 8.0/8.5 but a thin cb crease on the same corner.  My book may have the same grade as this copy.

I am admittedly surprised by the feedback. Yes it has the color breaking crease but as mentioned is not as noticeable as it appears. Completely disagree with the 5 and 6 grades some are giving. It’s graded a 7.0.  According to CGC a 7 is “An above-average collectible with a major defect or an accumulation of small defects.” I am personally happy with the book. Looks great and presents well. I would take this book over many other 7, 7.5s, and even 8s I’ve seen.

Edited by Homeboy32

I was going to say 7.0 and I see the answer is 7.0 but I didn't pay attention like @zzutakand missed the crease. That seems like bad grading on my part. What's CGC's excuse?

For that grade the book needs to be pretty much impeccable other than the crease. It does look pretty good although slabs hide some defects pretty well.

So maybe CGC was right, if a little generous. It looks to be a nice copy. Congrats.

@grendelbo @zzutak @JollyComics

I don't have a copy of IM#1 to model how long the crease is, could be 7",  could be 6" (so I guessed a wide range of grades), but if you read CGC's book, you would have a hard time either justifying the grade of this comic, or paying for their book to help you make accurate assessments of comics before deciding whether or not they're worth getting graded.

PXL_20221225_002716341.jpg

Here are grader notes "large crease right bottom of front cover breaks color. very light spine stress lines to cover".  I am not the original owner of the book and did not have it graded. I purchased it from an auction. I knew the crease was there but the overall book looks really good. I've seen so many higher grades that didn't look this good. Sharp(er) corners, minimal spine ticks, centered really good, white pages. I thought it's a great looking Iron Man #1 without breaking the bank.