• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Live Auctioneers auction NOW LIVE auction ends 2/24/23 - SEEKING FEEDBACK

31 posts in this topic

I have opened an account on live auctioneers and the first auction is now live (link is a little down the page in another post).

This Blazing Comics 6 has the Will Rogers story in it. Lots of improvement possible there as well. "Why, if she was my comic I'd..." "What would you do daddy?"

image.png

45_1.JPG

44_1.JPG

36_1.JPG

36_2.JPG

18_1.JPG

23_1.JPG

2_3.JPG

2_6.JPG

13_1.JPG

56_4.JPG

applesseed1.JPG

appleseed2.JPG

Edited by Bird

Here are a few more (why not, right?)

I am also having a few creator focused lots, Bill Sienkiewicz, George Perez, John Byrne, and Neal Adams so far.

also, a key to the fortress of solitude! (don't get too excited, it is a replica!)

16_1.JPG

25_8.JPG

35_1.JPG

39_1.JPG

47_1.JPG

I now have 80 lots set, should have a consignment of another 20-40 lots soon! I am still open to changing up some lots (why didn't I put Infinite Crisis with Blue Beetle?) and it is a lot of fun honestly. This is my first auction with live auctioneers as I decided to do quarterly auctions of 100+ lots instead of packing a few lots every few days for ebay or the monthly thread here.

If anyone wants to give me some feedback, please shoot me a # between 1-80 and I will show you what that lot looks like currently. I am finalizing the date and will have 3 weeks of preview on LiveA and will be taking new pictures before final catalog is submitted.

And if anyone is interested in a new selling venue, I would love consignments. I did this because the local guys who sell on LiveA wouldn't take a few boxes at a time without 40% fees. So if anyone wants an additional venue on the down low please PM me to discuss; the benefits are basically selling bulk with no effort or selling lower value keys, slabs and such on a quick turnaround to a large audience through a third party...c'mon, you know you need a way to unload the raffle chit! ;-). I am doing an early Feb auction and then the next will likely be late May. I am hoping to run a practice auction as well if anyone wants to watch me stumble around live.

C'mon! If you have a storage unit or 100 boxes, send a few my way and let's see what happens.

Edited by Bird

wow, time flies! I am set with 100 lots and decided to likely stop there for this first auction. I am now re-taking photos of the lots or adding photos of more valuable issues in a lot, etc. I am targeting Feb 18 but may go a little earlier if I am set sooner than expected. Yeah, right.

Here is a Moon Knight lot, 50 comics total IIRC. Boy have some of those MK issues increased in value!!!

4_1.JPG

Edited by Bird

Still working out the kinks but here we come! Auction should be live by the end of the week, going to pick up a small consignment from a boardie today!!!

image.jpg

Edited by Bird

since this is my first auction I would love feedback from boardies. any thoughts are welcome, critical or complimentary.

did I mention $10 starting bids and no reserve?

145238688_1_x.jpg?quality=80&version=167

here are 4 keys in one lot!

auction is picking up steam, please check it out!

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/276277_fedres-comics-inaugural-comic-auction/

I would love to get some (more) boardie consignments, so if you think you have a few books that would do well on live auctioneers consider sending them my way...next auction will be early/mid May. Maybe just 30 bronze books in nice shape, 25 magazines, I don't require megavalue to consign and have great rates, PM for details. Please. If you have 50 longboxes in storage, why not move one or three? People are still buying, I know this as someone bid on a lot of 75 Justice League Europe comics!!!

Edited by Bird

well, it seems 23 67 people have clicked from here to there, so thank you!

there is a small fee included in the shipping/handling charges, if any boardies win lots and PM me here after auction closes or when they are invoiced I will waive that fee. for what it is worth, I do one fee for up to 3 lots and another for 4+ lots while the auction houses I reviewed for reference charge $10 or so for each and every lot. I am keeping the fees low to encourage bidding and hope people take note. the BP is 18%, also low relative to the other auctions on live auctioneers

shameless plug over

Edited by Bird

facebook has passed cgc boards in linking over to the auction, lets go cgc boards! don't let facebook out click you!

;-)

I will admit I epxected more love for the I Hate Fairyland / Fugg Fairyland set

also some nice Peach and Skottie variants in there

I am planning my 2nd auction for early May. Pulling the DC spec and making lots from those, tons of early and modern Avengers, newsstands galore, Ghost Rider, Green Hornet, at least 5 modern star wars lots, it is great fun getting the auctions together! Immortal Hulk 1, X-Men 212/213, 221, +. and I am just getting started!  I have no more to do right now for the first one, just sit and watch.

Can you explain again about all the costs involved for a buyer? The listings aren't very clear to me. For example, the MSH lot of 2 books states a flat shipping charge of $22 - which is very high for 2 raw books; a different lot of 4 books says "actual shipping cost is subject to change based on the final price and insurance value of your item.” What does that mean? If I bid on Heritage or Clink, I know exactly what my shipping and final costs will be. On top of that, there’s the “handling fee for each shipment ($7 for 1-3 lots and $16 for 4 or more lots).”

I see some items I’m interested in but I won’t be bidding if I don’t know what the shipping will cost. If I’m paying $22 postage (or more) plus $7 handling *plus* an 18% BP for a $40 lot, I’m not even going to bother.

On 2/12/2023 at 9:22 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Can you explain again about all the costs involved for a buyer? The listings aren't very clear to me. For example, the MSH lot of 2 books states a flat shipping charge of $22 - which is very high for 2 raw books; a different lot of 4 books says "actual shipping cost is subject to change based on the final price and insurance value of your item.” What does that mean? If I bid on Heritage or Clink, I know exactly what my shipping and final costs will be. On top of that, there’s the “handling fee for each shipment ($7 for 1-3 lots and $16 for 4 or more lots).”

I see some items I’m interested in but I won’t be bidding if I don’t know what the shipping will cost. If I’m paying $22 postage (or more) plus $7 handling *plus* an 18% BP for a $40 lot, I’m not even going to bother.

thanks for the question. The shipping was a bugaboo for me, that $22 flat shipping charge was an early attempt that I must not have removed when I was going to list shipping for each item, that $22 would have been priority mail + the handling fee. but that is all moot I guess..

so, first off, the handling fee is waived for all boardies if they let me know to adjust it. I put that up above somewhere but will make sure to mention it again.

the bold part is meant to reflect that I do not know final value of any item prior to auction end, nor if buyer has own shipping/insurance or even what carrier they may require, so the exact shipping can not be confirmed until item ends.

yes, there is 18% BP (low for live a,they get 5% of that 18%)

Mostly it is all legalese not an attempt to hide costs. I tried to keep the handling fee low as well as the BP (they are both considerably lower than the 3 auction houses I buy from on there, or used to buy from), and again, no handling fee at all for boardies if you tell me when initially invoiced

so final cost on all items...hammer + 18% BP + shipping (based on location and shipping class/insurance)...no handling fee for boardies but non boardies pay $7 for 1-3 lots and $16 for 4 or more lots.

I am happy to get an exact shipping quote (well, not exactly happy but willing) given an address and lot #.

Thanks! Next auction I am trying not to have so many huge lots to better anticipate shipping; trying to keep most lots able to fit in medium flat rate usps and see if people prefer that to big lots.

(also, I cannot alter terms on an active auction as far as I know so I cannot fix those issues above but will definitely be tighter on 2nd attempt)

I am very happy to have been engaged on the auction, thank you! I can't get better if people don't point out problems. Like I said I tried to keep fees lower than typical on an auction (BP where I buy is 20%, 25% & 27%) as well as fees (I buy where I can do local pickup, but saw most houses charge a handling fee for each item no matter how many, and again, this is waived for boardies, just tell me when I invoice you).

I have some consignments and am offering better rates than other NJ auction houses by far. But that is because I am new to the Live A game, soon I'll be squeezing every nickel and dime! :sumo: But for now I want to get rid of tens of boxes of comics all at once and no longer a few each week so I am trying this It looks to be working too but I need feedback from the other side to truly get it going. Thanks again @MR. Pontoon!!!

Edited by Bird

okay, I noticed some lots could use more words or more photos and am adding those today.

this is fun, I only hope it is still fun when it all goes down and I have to mail 107 lots in 3 days. good problem to have though.

8 days away from the auction

94 of 107 items have bids, and those without bids are mostly manga lots or manga magazines. One lot of posters with no bids has 10 posters IIRC, one of which sold on ebay for $80 not long ago. so yeah...

oh, and apparently the mangajin magazines are an excellent way to learn Japanese, and I have a lot of 22 of the first 25 issues! Defintiely flip city going on in this auction. some minor keys with no bids as well

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/276277_fedres-comics-inaugural-comic-auction/