• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Live Auctioneers auction NOW LIVE auction ends 2/24/23 - SEEKING FEEDBACK

31 posts in this topic

today was a day of extremes, 2 mind-numbing webinars on live auctioneers, 45 minutes or so each,one I watched already but wanted refreshing and one was new (post auction invoicing). Then it was drive and funtime, I went and filled two longboxes, stuffed those bad boys. This weekend I will take those 2 boxes and 3 others I bought recently and see if I can make some lots for the next auction coming in late April, assuming this one runs relatively smoothly. No video this time, only audio, as I do not want to over commit myself on the first live auction but live shots of the lots should be coming soon enough, hopefully as soon as auction #2. putting together lots is great fun for me, what can I say. I am hoping to make one lot with books where publishers crossover, marvel/dc but also image, or superman bugs bunny etc. not sure if that will work, I have to get enough books to make it bid-able. I also am making modern newsstand lots, I had almost enough for one lot and now probably have 2; maybe one mostly image and one x-men. I know the spawn newsstand lot in my current auction is doing well so reinforcement delivered! Here comes another or 3 like it!

again, the handling fee is waived for boardies, just let me know and I will adjust the invoice accordingly. unlike the small community here, Live Auctioneers is big business with fees and buyer's premium. and maybe even sales tax, depending on where you live (I don't worry about that, I have live a handle it). no handling fees ever for local pickup as well. also, for boardies I can hold paid invoices for shipping at a later time or convention pickup (Big Apple in March?)

Edited by Bird

I just emailed mcs and pulled back some consignment items to add to my next auction, so maybe y'all can get some cheap. I doubt it though, these live a people be payin'!

Please consider consigning lots of copper/bronze/silver...just look at the prices on some of these! I went to Live A for a reason, but even so I am surprised at the money out there for copper & bronze. 25-40 book lots of decent condition seem to be the hits so far, not the runs.

okay, a few more photos added to the lots I thought were crazy low. 8 lots still have no bids at $10 starting bid...the lots doing crazy well seem to be the ones with photos of fronts and backs so I am learning! Be a good man, and thorough.

no more edits, 3 days out everything is locked solid

come and get your love

Edited by Bird

I fear that I have made a horrible mistake with this sale, only 3 days left.

NOT!

It isn't a major success (yet?) but I won't be regretting it. People are crazy sometimes...the leading bid is $450 for Incredible Hulk issues 401-474 or whatever the last issues is, Thunderbolts issue is included but no She-Hulk Pulp Fiction homage issue (I think that is the only one missing in the run...see next auction more likely than not for that one). But for every lot surprisingly high there are 10 or more at a steal.

okay, promo paragraph over. it is so much fun, but I didn't realize it would trigger my inner F5 monster. so goodbye, I have to go hit F5 and see if anyone viewed anything :facepalm:

live auctioneers comic auction ends friday

and remember, no handling fees for boardies and shipping is cost on label

Edited by Bird

getting interesting...I still cannot figure out that Hulk lot though...good problem to have I guess

just lost a bidder...live A don't play! Open a few disputes and they suspend you. I am used to selling to low feedback on ebay and you dingbats here, so I have high tolerance for shenanigans but Live A don't play! I just figure they are helping me dodge a bullet.

I will say that I am privy to dispute history and will NOT be buying comics from a Canadian auction house, tons of disputes on the comics!!!! Canuckleheads!

I will say...I think the boardie who consigned is happy. They will net $534 off of hammer prices of $635...some lots did poorly but overall it all evens out in the end generally. So if you want some fun, spend a few minutes this weekend or next pulling some books that fit together...30-50 maybe...and consign them to me! No hassle and all quick and easy peasy. I am a sucker for the walmart 3packs, and unloaded quite a few of the "less desirable" issues at cost or for profit today...putting together themed lots has its' advantages. Next auction is 5/2/23, post bombardment should commence in mid April.

really, consign some books. @the blobI am looking at you! For some reason you seem perfect for this, lots of groovy books hiding away, ready to be mini-bulked out! I'll pick them up! ;-) But everyone else as well, have 50 magazines or spider-man bronze and want to see what happens? You'll be happily surprised I bet!!!

On 2/12/2023 at 9:22 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Can you explain again about all the costs involved for a buyer? The listings aren't very clear to me. For example, the MSH lot of 2 books states a flat shipping charge of $22 - which is very high for 2 raw books; a different lot of 4 books says "actual shipping cost is subject to change based on the final price and insurance value of your item.” What does that mean? If I bid on Heritage or Clink, I know exactly what my shipping and final costs will be. On top of that, there’s the “handling fee for each shipment ($7 for 1-3 lots and $16 for 4 or more lots).”

I see some items I’m interested in but I won’t be bidding if I don’t know what the shipping will cost. If I’m paying $22 postage (or more) plus $7 handling *plus* an 18% BP for a $40 lot, I’m not even going to bother.

Having invoiced this morning, the fees are significant! Ugh! No media mail through this, although parcel post is actually cheaper at some point I found this morning, so shipping is high. I am glad I kept it at 18% (i know, but many are higher) so that equals out some fees...sales tax...payment fee if not paying me directly...BP...handling fee (adjusted down for next auction to account for single lot winners). So yeah, lots of add on.

The positive is that many many lots were under fmv, some quite so. Starting out on a new platform has its' bumps and bruises. $10 lots! I cringed as I hit the sold and next lot buttons, trust me. But maybe buyers come back (in May).

okay, everything concluded! It went well but boy was it a learning experience. The next auction is 5/5/23 (or so) and I already have another consignor!!! I have 74 lots ready and am adding more from 2 different consignors still. Then I'll fill it out as needed. I am going for 150 lots this time, I will do 50 lots, take 5 minutes and do lots 51-100 and then another short break. It was quite tiring, but at least I should have a better rhythm. I have adjusted/simplified the handling fee to $3 a lot and eliminated/absorbed the 3% or so fee LiveA charges to take your payment so final prices should be much easier to know in advance. I also eliminated some jargon, especially the bit saying I can change fees/shipping if need be; I pack and price it well before invoicing so no need for that.

This next auction will have tighter lots for the most part and smaller as well to better predict shipping. A bunch of modern lots too, Star Wars, Vader, Infinity Wars/Warps, Secret Wars - 2 huge lots, etc.

Edited by Bird