• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Hulk 181 (sub- CGC 9.0-9.2) Dying?

77 posts in this topic

It's not just his power, it's his persona--the mysterious loner, tough but sensitive, more dimensions to his character, etc. For some reason, he really struck a chord with Marvel-dom. I never saw it myself, but then again I rarely prefer complex comic characters. I remember an early fan letter saying all of the new characters were worthless and only Wolverine was worth keeping. Whoever that fan was, he certainly nailed the general feeling of Marvel-dom square on the head.

EVen then, though, I'd buy it begrudgingly. I can think of no other book in the hobby that is so stupidly overpriced, and I get so sick of dealers parading this book around as if they've just acquired the holy grail.

I feel exactly the same way. The comparable BA Horror book in this category is obivously HOS 92. I will own a 9.6 one day, but I still don't know why this book is so out of whack with other issues, Swampy aside (Swampy's first series deflated after ten issues--movie sucked, no real merchandising--just don't get it).

Oops I did it again. Those holding 9.6 copies will read this and keep me from the "grail". Oh well. yeahok.gif

I feel exactly the same way. The comparable BA Horror book in this category is obivously HOS 92. I will own a 9.6 one day, but I still don't know why this book is so out of whack with other issues, Swampy aside (Swampy's first series deflated after ten issues--movie sucked, no real merchandising--just don't get it).

I think the real jump in HOS 92 took place after the Alan Moore Swamp Thing series took off, and then even more when it was deemed to be the start of the DC Vertigo universe. I think this was discussed in some other thread somewhere. The other contributing factor was that HOS 92 for the longest time was considered to be one of the most difficult BA books to find in true NM. The high price it commands and the CGC census have shown that it's not quite that tough, but in my opinion, the price continues to reflect this mystique.

To be honest, I think it IS a really tough book to find in 9.6. The only copy you ever see available is Microbia's, which gets trotted out every 10 cent listing day at a starting price that no one has been willing to pay thus far.

I think the real jump in HOS 92 took place after the Alan Moore Swamp Thing series took off, and then even more when it was deemed to be the start of the DC Vertigo universe. I think this was discussed in some other thread somewhere. The other contributing factor was that HOS 92 for the longest time was considered to be one of the most difficult BA books to find in true NM. The high price it commands and the CGC census have shown that it's not quite that tough, but in my opinion, the price continues to reflect this mystique.

To be honest, I think it IS a really tough book to find in 9.6. The only copy you ever see available is Microbia's, which gets trotted out every 10 cent listing day at a starting price that no one has been willing to pay thus far.

I'd also add that Swamp Thing has become the most widely known but seldom used character in comics. Collectors seem to like the character. I don't understand HOS #92's sustained high price either...especially considering a very similar character, though not Alec Holland, appeared in Phantom Stranger #14 a month later and had more semblance to the Swampy we know than #92...

ps14.jpg

Jim

I'd also add that Swamp Thing has become the most widely known but seldom used character in comics. Collectors seem to like the character. I don't understand HOS #92's sustained high price either...especially considering a very similar character, though not Alec Holland, appeared in Phantom Stranger #14 a month later and had more semblance to the Swampy we know than #92...

ps14.jpg

Jim

Swampy?

Nah, that's Man-Thing...down to the red eyes, humped back, long nails and dripping slime.

It's also Adams, who strangely drew Man-Thing's 2nd appearance in Astonishing Tales. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ps14.jpg

Jim

Swampy?

Nah, that's Man-Thing...down to the red eyes, humped back, long nails and dripping slime.

It's also Adams, who strangely drew Man-Thing's 2nd appearance in Astonishing Tales. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Swampy in the story itself looked more like the one we all know and love... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gotta love the cover though... cloud9.gif

Jim

it just introduces probably the second most popular character besides spider-man.

Unfortunately you're in the wrong boards if you want to talk about bronze/modern characters. 95% of these guys only care about what happened prior to 1968. I think some of them still believe that its 1965. They can't get over several ideas, including the inevitability of change. screwy.gif

If you ask me, they just love their silver age books because they're worth more. foreheadslap.gif

Everybody knows Hulk180 is the true 1st appearance of Wolvie anyway!! thumbsup2.gif

Then why does Overstreet & Wizard consider just about every book in which a new character is shown on only a single page just a "cameo?"

What is a "cameo"? It's an appearance, that's what it is! Ergo, Hulk 180, featuring a Wolverine "cameo", is indeed the very 1st appearance of the Wolverine. sumo.gif

it just introduces probably the second most popular character besides spider-man.

Unfortunately you're in the wrong boards if you want to talk about bronze/modern characters. 95% of these guys only care about what happened prior to 1968. I think some of them still believe that its 1965. They can't get over several ideas, including the inevitability of change. screwy.gif

If you ask me, they just love their silver age books because they're worth more. foreheadslap.gif

OK Einstein, tell me a character, other than Venom, that's truly worthy of being placed with the pantheon of Silver Marvel characters since 1988? screwy.gif

Jim

Im glad you have the pulse of 95% of the board members here!

How do you know what I care about? How do you know what others care about?

Lets see, just off the people posting in this thread:

me-Silver to bronze and prefer reading bronze books over silver in most cases

Dr.Banner-Loves bronze and GA. I know because we have actually talked

J_C- Another Bronze fan.

But thanks for telling me what i like to collect yeahok.gif

Everybody knows Hulk180 is the true 1st appearance of Wolvie anyway!! thumbsup2.gif

Then why does Overstreet & Wizard consider just about every book in which a new character is shown on only a single page just a "cameo?"

What is a "cameo"? It's an appearance, that's what it is! Ergo, Hulk 180, featuring a Wolverine "cameo", is indeed the very 1st appearance of the Wolverine. sumo.gif

...Nuff said,....

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

if any of you have read the book - actually hulk 180 -182 you will see it's actually a pretty decent story and of course lets not forget that it does introduce probably most popular character of the MA. not popular amongst "collectors" but actually i would say popular to non collectors. if you walk up to the average joe and ask him to name you an x-man, good chances are they will say wolverine. with the spawn of new x-men introduced in giant size x-men no other character seems to have gotten the exposure or popularity of wolverine...not colossus, not storm etc etc etc

and i must agree 1st wolverine is 180 the only reason why 181 gets the nod as 1st appearance is because it's his 1st FULL appearance and not just a cameo.

Swampy aside (Swampy's first series deflated after ten issues--movie sucked, no real merchandising--just don't get it).

Don't deflate the prices of HOS 92 so fast, I just got my 9.4. sumo.gif

And, I was so depressed that PS 14 had another 9.8(besides mine) in another Heritage auction. Anyone know what it sold for?

Anyway, I think both of them are the number one keys of any age-Silver,gold, bronze,modern. sumo.gif

I just watched the movie again last night. Adrian Barbeu and Heather Locklear cloud9.gif

Higher-grade 9.2 and above seems solid, but it looks as if the ultra-common nature of this book is finally catching up to anything lower.

You and I agree on this. thumbsup2.gif

Overtime, the more common books (even major keys) will either stagnate or decrease in price even in the uber-high grades.

In my opinion, many of the buyers of these books bought them to resell sometime in the future (be it a dealer or a collector). As sale prices continue to slip you will see more NO RESERVE sales on these issues and therefore will see a new lower low price reached.

Plus, how many times do you hear someone say, they would like a nice copy but will wait. The reason they CAN WAIT, is because they see that the book is fairly available, so no need to buy one today.

The trend is down, slowly but surely.

The only reason I would ever buy this book was if I was ever putting together a hulk run and needed it for completeness sake.

Same here. It's on my want list since a full Hulk run is one of my goals, but I don't look forward to buying it. I'm hoping I can find a low-grade copy eventually. With prices the way they are, it's not very high on my priority list.