• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Hulk 181 (sub- CGC 9.0-9.2) Dying?

77 posts in this topic

First of all, Overstreet no longer says anything of the sort anymore, because it was wrong to use the word "cameo" in that way and I took care of all such references throughout the book to properly refer to cameos when needed or otherwise to "first brief appearances."

And no, "cameo" is *not* just an appearance. A "cameo" refers to a brief but significant appearance by a person or character that is *already familiar* to the reader or viewer. A first appearance, therefore, cannot possibly be a cameo. And as I just said, the Guide now lists these appearances properly without mangling the English language. smile.gif

And no, "cameo" is *not* just an appearance. A "cameo" refers to a brief but significant appearance by a person or character that is *already familiar* to the reader or viewer. A first appearance, therefore, cannot possibly be a cameo. And as I just said, the Guide now lists these appearances properly without mangling the English language. smile.gif

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

... from the same Paragon of Consistency that *adjusted* the Bronze Age to include 1980-85. What's next on your slate, the Silver Age going to end in 1975?

First of all, Overstreet no longer says anything of the sort anymore, because it was wrong to use the word "cameo" in that way and I took care of all such references throughout the book to properly refer to cameos when needed or otherwise to "first brief appearances."

Yep, I don't have this year's guide in front of me, but last year's guide states for Hulk 180:

"1st app. Wolverine (cameo last pg.)"

So I assume this year's guide dropped "(cameo last pg.)" and Hulk 180 is now recognized as the true 1st appearance of Wolvie. This really isn't that complicated people - Wolverine's 1st appearance is in Hulk 180. makepoint.gif

Yep, I don't have this year's guide in front of me, but last year's guide states for Hulk 180:

So I assume this year's guide dropped "(cameo last pg.)" and Hulk 180 is now recognized as the true 1st appearance of Wolvie.

Overstreet #35 (2005)

180 - (10/74) - 1st brief app. Wolverine (last pg.)

181 - (11/74) - 1st full Wolverine story

I should get my reader CGC'd.

It was used as a cutting mat by someone and has a lot of cutlines on it and even some very small pieces missing out of the cover where cut lines intersect.

It is beat, and at some time even had the misfortune of being exposed to water so it has water stains throughout the whole book.

The good news is the value stamp is still there.

Artboy99

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

... from the same Paragon of Consistency that *adjusted* the Bronze Age to include 1980-85. What's next on your slate, the Silver Age going to end in 1975?

I'm sort of a newbie here so maybe it's not my place to speak out on this, but was this sort of comment really necesasary? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I haven't bought an OG in over a decade, but I sure appreciate any input to these boards from an Overstreet contributer who might shed some light on changes/revisions to the guide, so I'd hate to see Arnold driven away by such comments. 893censored-thumb.gif

I'm sort of a newbie here so maybe it's not my place to speak out on this, but was this sort of comment really necesasary? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I haven't bought an OG in over a decade, but I sure appreciate any input to these boards from an Overstreet contributer who might shed some light on changes/revisions to the guide, so I'd hate to see Arnold driven away by such comments. 893censored-thumb.gif

Your comment is not out of place, but I don't think Arnold is taken aback by the comments. Those two have tussled on this issue before and Arnold knows 99.5% of the board members appreciate any and all input he provides!! thumbsup2.gif

JC, on the other hand... screwy.gif

So I assume this year's guide dropped "(cameo last pg.)" and Hulk 180 is now recognized as the true 1st appearance of Wolvie. This really isn't that complicated people - Wolverine's 1st appearance is in Hulk 180. makepoint.gif

It's actually a very solid panel too, if memory serves me, not some lame cameo where the character does not even get an introduction, and all we see are their backs insane.gif post anyonne?

Thanks Davenport! In my opinion, 180 is Wolverines first appearance. Its a nice size panel of him, he speaks, and they state his name twice. Better start buying up those 180's while we can get them "cheap". tongue.gif

Too bad the cover for 180 sucks so bad compared to 181, or its value would probably be much higher. Not only is Wolverine a key character but the cover to 181 is one of the best from the 70's, similar to Spidey 129. The surrounding covers on both titles were just horrible and then you have these two which are classics in their own right. Imagine if Hulk 180 had one of those hidden cover appearances like Avengers Annual 10 for Rogue. What then?

Side note: I tend to believe that there are more than 20% resubs on this book at the 8.0 and above level. From pressing, to color touch removal, to wrap replacement (stamp page), to just hoping for a better grade, it makes a lot of sense to resub; this book especially.

If a 9.0 sells or $750 and a 9.2 sells for $1200, you can justify sending in a 9.0 five times.

In theorey, if I had 5 9.0s or better and sent them all in 3 different times or until it upgraded:

5x3x25 = $375

At the 9.2 level it gets even better and so on. Yes it could get downgraded but the loss on a 8.5 to 9.0 is not as high as a potential upgrade.

More of a thought scenario. After all, who would really do this....

. . . it makes a lot of sense to resub; this book especially.

If a 9.0 sells or $750 and a 9.2 sells for $1200, you can justify sending in a 9.0 five times.

Unless of course, you did get a 9.2 when everyone thought 8.5 was a reach . . . devil.gif

27_laughing.gif