• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Query about artist signed comic with certificate from known outlet marked down as just "graffiti/scribbling" so losing points.

9 posts in this topic

I have been told that any autographs on a comic will be marked as "scribbling" and therefore lose grading points-unless you can prove the comic was signed at an event associated or linked with CGC Comics, such as a big Comiccon. Even if there is a certificate, and the autograph is readable as that of the artist, it will be marked as a negative-Can anyone confirm this is true? How does one go about proving it was signed at a CGC linked event?

I bought my certified, signed, sealed comic from the only comic store in a big city in Britain ten years ago-but its still being marked as "graffiti"....(!)

thanks for taking time to read this and any replies!

CGC certifies only signatures that they witnessed, with one tiny exception.  In some circumstances, they also certify signatures they received directly from the creator who signed it. That’s it.  If you have a comic with a name written on it, CGC could give it a qualified grade, or they could deduct from the grade because of the writing. Under no circumstances, would they validate a signature on a book that you have. That is not one of the services they offer.

As for your question about how CGC confirms that it was signed at one of their events, it all has to do with a chain of custody. If you have it signed at a CGC event, then CGC retains the book immediately after the signing, and encapsulates it. Then they send it back to you with certification. If at any point you remove the book from his holder, then it is no longer certified, and can never be recertified by CGC.  Does that help?

On 1/2/2023 at 7:57 PM, SOTIcollector said:

CGC certifies only signatures that they witnessed, with one tiny exception.  In some circumstances, they also certify signatures they received directly from the creator who signed it. That’s it.  If you have a comic with a name written on it, CGC could give it a qualified grade, or they could deduct from the grade because of the writing. Under no circumstances, would they validate a signature on a book that you have. That is not one of the services they offer.

That's not an exception. CGC doesn't witness signatures. CGC works with people, which includes creators themselves under certain circumstances, who witness signatures.

But yeah, CGC doesn't care if a signature is authentic, only that somebody went through their procedure to get it.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:14 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Wasn't aware that the label would call it graffiti. Doesn't the label say something like: "John Byrne written on cover."

That has been my experience as well. I have never seen CGC use the term “graffiti” for a signature.  They have used something along the lines of “(name) written on cover” for all of the ones I have seen.  Here’s an example.

BA962629-70E1-4687-B393-0C443E3DA1AF.thumb.jpeg.04c1d03af2a8e8f6816c025c35bc0c6b.jpeg

On 1/3/2023 at 4:47 PM, Nyah said:

They never have, he made that up.

I was thinking that I might like a slab that says "Tagged by John "2 Cool 4 Xavier's School" Byrne"

Edited by Dr. Balls