• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in, signed by Chris Claremont: X-Men 96 (1975)
2 2

21 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, scburdet said:

with the barely visible crease on the back cover? IDK how pressing would fix this completely

@LowGradeBronze the tiniest of nicks 

Hide contents

PXL_20230103_192543955.jpg

PXL_20230103_192623247.jpg

Yeah, that's more of an 8.0/8.5. I doubt that crease could be pressed all the way out so max cap of 9.0.

Struggled quite a bit deciding which Claremonts made sense at the price point (which I think went up since last year?). Ultimately, most of the ones I considered weren't valuable and/or high grade enough to make sense, especially given the large number of his sig books out there. This one goes b/c it looks great from the front (almost as good as a 9.6 #129 I got back recently), but the back has the issues, so the sig will distract from whatever number appears on the top left of the case.

toy story claw machine GIF

I'm going to go with 9.0. That back cover crease looks non color breaking and a really good presser might be able to get it out. Moot point now, I guess, but still a really nice book. Thanks for posting!

So, there's always one to kick you in the 'nads. This book met my standards for sending an older key to a signature series event. I'm not interested in "desecrating" a significant older book that might grade out at, or over, 9.4 (a big reason I didn't send CC my X-Men 129 or 109). My only goal is not to "lose" money on the transaction, so this grinds my gears. The two Grade Notes are a full length printer crease on the back cover & a corner crease on the back cover. I didn't really ID the printer crease as that before, but it's there. It's no worse than a polybag crease I have on a 9.2, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't a significant factor in determining the grade. As some people indicated, the corner crease doesn't break color; however, it would if it was not on a white background so I viewed it like a color breaking crease more or less. Based on my reading of the CGC guide, such a crease would bring a book down to the 7.0/7.5 range on the front cover, but being on the back it should grade at least a grade higher. I was expecting an 8.0 based on the overall eye appeal, so pretty disappointed (also why this is 4/4 on my updating the 'grade is in' updates 🙄).

XMen-96.jpg

PXL_20230513_180529958.jpg

PXL_20230513_180541313.jpg

Edited by scburdet