• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN #181 ENDED .......
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I'm torn between keeping my mouth shut and saying something, but I leaned towards the latter with hopes you don't take offense.

If the 181 was my book, i don't think I'd crack it open- or at least I would solicit some professional opinions before doing so. There are a number of other deficits that contribute to the score and I'd be surprised if you could improve upon the 5.5, even with a clean and press. There seems to be the remnants of a subscription crease, which will greatly inhibit any potential upside, plus minor tears on 3 edges, and some staining that won't go away. I do think it could be made to look much better with a cleaning (there's a good amount of "grit" that would probably go away easily, especially on the back cover) but a lot hinges on how lenient the particular grader(s) you pull when you submit are. Perhaps you could get to a 6.0, but I'd personally be shocked by anything better.

Again, this is just my opinion and I hope you take it in the spirit in which it is put forward. I've made similar mistakes in the past.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:41 AM, amatta said:

I'm torn between keeping my mouth shut and saying something, but I leaned towards the latter with hopes you don't take offense.

If the 181 was my book, i don't think I'd crack it open- or at least I would solicit some professional opinions before doing so. There are a number of other deficits that contribute to the score and I'd be surprised if you could improve upon the 5.5, even with a clean and press. There seems to be the remnants of a subscription crease, which will greatly inhibit any potential upside, plus minor tears on 3 edges, and some staining that won't go away. I do think it could be made to look much better with a cleaning (there's a good amount of "grit" that would probably go away easily, especially on the back cover) but a lot hinges on how lenient the particular grader(s) you pull when you submit are. Perhaps you could get to a 6.0, but I'd personally be shocked by anything better.

Again, this is just my opinion and I hope you take it in the spirit in which it is put forward. I've made similar mistakes in the past.

Thank you my fellow NYer ;)  I do appreciate and have taken into consideration.   Just bugs me that both staples are detached...that is an automatic .5
The jump to a 6.0 is quite a difference however...so still thinking about it.  That said my price is very fair right now...not long ago this book was a $1200 book...or close to it. 

Happy New Year!  No offense taken  ;)

Joe