• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dusting books?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

This is probably a dumb question, but some of my books (particularly ones with black and/or glossy covers) show dust really easily and have accumulated a bit over the years. Any tips on dusting comics before sending them in for grading? Should I dust them/wipe them with anything in particular? Is it even worth dusting books? Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

As already stated, Bag, Board, Store Properly is how you avoid dust and other contaminants on your books. 

You can use Mylites w/Acid Free Boards (Recommended) or use Resealable Poly Bags w/Acid Free Boards, Poly breaks down over time and is not Archival approved so those bags need to be replaced every 5 years or so whereas Mylar (Archival Approved) lasts a lifetime.

Since you are sending books to be graded just keep in mind that CGC cases are Not UV Protected so where/how they are stored matters.

You do not want to use anything that will scratch the surface of the book, if it is only dust you are concerned about lightly use a Swiffer Dusting Pad, Microfiber Cloth (as already mentioned above) or you can try this...

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-AX-AY-ABHI-20563-Document-Cleaning-Pad/dp/B002E4Z302/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_w=G92IS&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=7N7PE60N2VG8VMW6WMGY&pd_rd_wg=Xm98m&pd_rd_r=c5073d6d-34bb-4cbf-bede-9a379e622e5f&pd_rd_i=B002E4Z302&psc=1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:25 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

How about bag & board them? Any soft dry clean cloth will do for a wipe over. No need to overthink it. Welcome to the boards BTW!

They're bagged and boarded, but it's a stiffer plastic bag and I guess I never sealed them with tape (whoops). Thanks for the feedback! Definitely overthinking it, I think lol 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:23 AM, joeypost said:

Be careful it’s just dust. If there is any dirt you can run the risk of scratching the cover when you wipe it. I recommend using a soft bristled brush first.  

And if no soft brush is available, use nothing harsher than a microfiber cloth designed for cleaning perhaps? What sayest thou joeypost? I wouldn't want to wipe any of my books with any old rag.

To the original poster, how exactly are you storing books that they've been accumulating dust?

On 1/7/2023 at 6:56 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

And if no soft brush is available, use nothing harsher than a microfiber cloth designed for cleaning perhaps? What sayest thou joeypost? I wouldn't want to wipe any of my books with any old rag.

To the original poster, how exactly are you storing books that they've been accumulating dust?

Sorry, I totally missed this! The comics in question are bagged and boarded, but the bags are a stiff plastic with a weird raised opening at the top (no flap). I stupidly never taped the top opening closed, and the books have tagged along with me through several moves over the years. I imagine any dust just fell through the open top of the bags. Nothing crazy, but the books were definitely a bit dusty. A microfiber cloth seemed to work quite well. Thanks for the feedback!

On 1/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, Nsschenks said:

Sorry, I totally missed this! The comics in question are bagged and boarded, but the bags are a stiff plastic with a weird raised opening at the top (no flap). I stupidly never taped the top opening closed, and the books have tagged along with me through several moves over the years. I imagine any dust just fell through the open top of the bags. Nothing crazy, but the books were definitely a bit dusty. A microfiber cloth seemed to work quite well. Thanks for the feedback!

That sounds like mylar, which is far superior to plastic bags, and don't need to be sealed. Are you keeping them in closed boxes?

On 1/6/2023 at 9:49 PM, Nsschenks said:

.....and I guess I never sealed them with tape.......

I never let tape anywhere near mine, nor those bags with adhesive strips. You always end up with accidental damage sooner or later, no matter how careful you are, then kick yourself for it. If using bags, trim the corners of the flap so it tucks in neatly. Job done! :peace:

On 1/21/2023 at 5:11 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I never let tape anywhere near mine, nor those bags with adhesive strips. You always end up with accidental damage sooner or later, no matter how careful you are, then kick yourself for it. If using bags, trim the corners of the flap so it tucks in neatly. Job done! :peace:

Eventually the piper gets paid. My last and final causality 20+ years back was an Invaders 39 that was an easy 9.8. Lesson learned. Got off very lightly,  It could have been much worse!

I now use 2 mil mylites, tucked flap, no tape, that I place inside larger 4 mil mylars. I keep the full back board in the mylar not in mylite with the comic.

BTW I still have a bunch of the boards w/activated charcoal layer I got from Cole in the late 90's they are now called Life-X-Tender's.   I use them on some of my Silver and Early Bronze. Given in my case the board and comic are not touching I am doubtful the charcoal it make any real difference, still it gives me positive vibe.

Edited by MAR1979