• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade: Bound Silver Surfer #1-18
2 2

9 posts in this topic

You can't really grade these b/c they're not comics in the sense that the grading standard were intended. @The Lions Den is correct that binders did things to the originals like trimming/gluing/etc. to make the book. This is described briefly in the new CGC grading guidebook. It also says that disassembling such volumes usually leads to individual comics that grade between 2.0–4.0 (often w/restored labels) b/c whatever protection provided by the covering is offset by the defects introduced through the binding process. The best way to value is also as suggested looking at past sales, although these will be rare. I did a quick ebay search, and a recent volume of SS 1–18 sold for a little over $2K. A decent sum for sure, but if you had all 18 issues loose in mid-grade you'd be looking at $4–5K graded, and much more than that if they, and especially the key issues, were in higher grades. I'd guess that sale price of the volume reflects a ≤4.0 price projection for the issues if removed. Personally, I'd leave these in the binding. It's not the same marketplace as "loose" comics, but this is a cool piece of comic history even if it appeals to a narrower group of collectors. I'd be prepared to offer a crisp $20 bill for each volume just to own something with the novelty factor :wink:

You can do a quick search at MCS for bound volumes and see what they have and what prices are asked. You could also go through their past auctions and see what bound volumes have gone for. The latter takes some time but there have been a lot of SA books sold in bound fashion via auction.