• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 press/grade question…
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Okay so this was my first submission lol… I had no idea what to look for and what CGC graded. As you can see I got WRECKED lol. I’m just curious…. If I crack this open, try and remove the small piece of tape on the front cover, and have it pressed and regraded… what do you think it could get? I’ll attach pics and graders notes

60CEBF19-9CF4-46DE-839F-1C6A19DB5206.jpeg

F4D56838-5F06-4D22-B0B7-1401BA7C783F.jpeg

CD6E03C2-0234-416E-AD66-39A6EC977191.jpeg

A6A6CA35-5B6A-4D2C-AA19-1C1651992225.jpeg

D0AEB09D-8054-4110-B916-000350D7788C.jpeg

E6E331B7-33B7-4E6B-BE51-DDF5144270C2.jpeg

1FD8BA41-C5E8-4D5C-AA97-52ECD0AAF4D0.jpeg

Depending on what type of tape was used and how recently it was applied could cause issues with the inks. The glue hasn’t affected color yet, but in the hands of someone inexperienced it could lift color and you would be worse off than before. 

IMHO at current time money would be better spent simply purchasing a 7.0 or 7.5 or 8.0 newsstand versus throwing more money on this book - unless this specific copy has personal meaning.

Edited by MAR1979

Welcome to the boards.

Congrats on your first submission.

If I were you, I will sell it (you have a bonus with the newsstand edition and white pages) and find other copy with a better grade.   Removing the tape from the cover is a GREAT RISK.  I prefer to leave it alone.  That is my 2c.

On 1/13/2023 at 9:38 PM, JollyComics said:

Welcome to the boards.

Congrats on your first submission.

If I were you, I will sell it (you have a bonus with the newsstand edition and white pages) and find other copy with a better grade.   Removing the tape from the cover is a GREAT RISK.  I prefer to leave it alone.  That is my 2c.

Wanna buy it? 😂😂🤔 lol. Jk yeah I prob will because that 4.5 just pisses me off with the rest of my displayed collection haha

On 1/17/2023 at 4:50 PM, Sammyk0130 said:

Wanna buy it? 😂😂🤔 lol. Jk yeah I prob will because that 4.5 just pisses me off with the rest of my displayed collection haha

I have 9.2 Direct Edition.  I understand how you feel about it.  Just pursue the high grade copy to make look good for your collection. I think the sales of ASM 238 is slowing down and it's probably little affordable.  I may pursue 9.4 or 9.6 but both 9.6 and 9.8 are too expensive right now so I can settle 9.4.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:28 PM, JollyComics said:

I have 9.2 Direct Edition.  I understand how you feel about it.  Just pursue the high grade copy to make look good for your collection. I think the sales of ASM 238 is slowing down and it's probably little affordable.  I may pursue 9.4 or 9.6 but both 9.6 and 9.8 are too expensive right now so I can settle 9.4.

I just feel like I can’t even get 200$ for it. More like 150 lol. At that point I almost want to say F it and see if I can bust it open and try and bump the grade up. The tape is so small I didn’t even know it existed until the grader comments and I saw it just right in the light. 

On 1/12/2023 at 7:26 PM, mephistopheles said:

IF you can remove the tape without damaging the book and get it pressed, I think this could easily be a 7.0. 

Even with that bottom left tear? I didn’t even notice the damn tape cuz it’s clear and tiny. I just feel like even if I sell it I’ll only get like 150$ and that’s not worth it to me lol. Rather risk it and try and bump it up

On 1/17/2023 at 9:29 PM, Sammyk0130 said:

Even with that bottom left tear? I didn’t even notice the damn tape cuz it’s clear and tiny. I just feel like even if I sell it I’ll only get like 150$ and that’s not worth it to me lol. Rather risk it and try and bump it up

Thought that was just a scratch. In that case 6-6.5. I don't blame you for wanting to try.

Anyone suggesting this could hit above 7.0 is sillypants

That rip, even with tape removed, has it in the 5.0-5.5 range. I would imagine that removing the tape could result in a worse tape pull so for me, not worth the hassle. Avoid any modern (1980 to now especially) books with such rips or tape of any kind if you have aspirations of grading and achieving grades in the 8's and 9's