• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT and the flaws of #1
1 1

8 posts in this topic

The way the scoring works is so flawed

A person who spends 8 years daily searching and submitting to build an almost full 9.8 set  (including 1 of 4, 1 of 5 in the world ultra ultra rare issues etc) achieves 70 / 72   9.8's in the set   gets a score of 20000.

That person cannot afford a 1st issue #1   where the cheapest versions of a mid grade of the book are 30k  etc

A  ?collector?  buys a 9.2 copy of #1  -  doesn't work on or collect any of the other 73 titles - just a 9.2 of #1  and his score is 24000   (4k higher than someone who has obviously built a massively better set than a single purchase) -

Solution..

since this is a SET Collector's society   you should  make the official rank based on  % >9.8    achieved     on the set      so  a person who buys a 9.2 copy of issue 1 might be  #14 on the value ranking but  they are really un-ranked on the set collectors ranking   

I am just venting as I find it ridiculous that a person can buy a single book and be ranked higher than someone who has been building a full set for years and years LOL

On 1/16/2023 at 10:46 AM, Magmar said:

A person who spends 8 years daily searching and submitting to build an almost full 9.8 set  (including 1 of 4, 1 of 5 in the world ultra ultra rare issues etc) achieves 70 / 72   9.8's in the set   gets a score of 20000.

That person cannot afford a 1st issue #1   where the cheapest versions of a mid grade of the book are 30k  etc

A  ?collector?  buys a 9.2 copy of #1  -  doesn't work on or collect any of the other 73 titles - just a 9.2 of #1  and his score is 24000   (4k higher than someone who has obviously built a massively better set than a single purchase) -

Solution..

since this is a SET Collector's society   you should  make the official rank based on  % >9.8    achieved     on the set      so  a person who buys a 9.2 copy of issue 1 might be  #14 on the value ranking but  they are really un-ranked on the set collectors ranking   

I am just venting as I find it ridiculous that a person can buy a single book and be ranked higher than someone who has been building a full set for years and years LOL

This obviously only works for modern sets where full 9.8 runs are achievable -  silver and golden age sets would of course be based on a much lower grade threshold

On 1/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, Magmar said:

Solution..

This truly hits so close to home.  I have 98% of this set and all but 3 or 4 are 9.8 plus there are complete pictures and descriptions and I'm ranked 17th or 18th or something. 

I second this

Sadly this is the way it is in registry - same in trading cards with PSA.

Registry's exist to increase revenue by having more common run of mill books slabbed.

While not foolproof this can be applied across the board ; grant bonus points when a full set, regardless of grade, is achieved. CGC does not do this neither does PSA so probably reasons?

Edited by MAR1979

Please see this post regarding my thoughts on scoring in the Registry:

After this Year's Awards, I plan on implementing major changes to the Registry structure.

Some of the changes I am planning are not going to be popular, but I feel they are necessary.

My intention is to make set scoring more dependent on completion percentage, set detail, and photographs, as opposed to having 2 or 3 keys/grails.

On 1/18/2023 at 12:54 PM, wytshus said:

After this Year's Awards, I plan on implementing major changes to the Registry structure.

Some of the changes I am planning are not going to be popular, but I feel they are necessary.

My intention is to make set scoring more dependent on completion percentage, set detail, and photographs, as opposed to having 2 or 3 keys/grails.

Hey thanks for this!  And appreciate CGC hearing and responding.  Cheers!

On 1/18/2023 at 12:54 PM, wytshus said:

You mean that's going to help individual completion score sets right? In this case TMNT only?