• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four #48
2 2

12 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2023 at 7:12 PM, comicginger1789 said:

What is going on with the back top edge of your book? That black should not be there....should look like this

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like the back cover's been cut/ripped across the top, that black's from the interior page (I think? :shiftyeyes:)

On 1/19/2023 at 4:56 PM, ARyan_ said:

from the interior page

I concur, but don't have a copy to verify. The sub crease along would bring this to a 4.5 b/c it's pronounced. With a missing piece of that apparent size, I can't see this clocking in at more than a 1.0, even if it looks decent in the front. Could go down to a 0.5. Pressing can't fix anything here grade-wise. At best a minor aesthetic improvement.

Edited by scburdet

I see it now. A chunk missing top edge on back.

I disagree that it’s a 1.0 or 0.5. The 0.5 is reserved for an incomplete book and a 1.0 would have multiple pieces missing along with much more. It’s a large chunk but the fact it’s on back helps it. Probably still gets a 2.0

Edited by comicginger1789

On 1/19/2023 at 9:36 PM, comicginger1789 said:

The 0.5 is reserved for an incomplete book

this is not true according to the new CGC Guide Book, it is however, the most common reason for a 0.5 (2 of the 3 samples 0.5s in the book don't have a missing piece that's visible). I only throw it out there b/c an accumulation of defects plus a big missing piece could get dinged, improbable for this book but not impossible because there's clearly something weird going on with that top edge. Additional description (or photos) of what we're looking at would be helpful. My initial thought was that it was an entire strip off, but now I'm not as sure.

1.5 ceiling due to the whole top bc edge missing with all the other c-b creases to the front. I can't see a C&P doing anything to the grade, but MAY make the back slightly less ghastly. 

Great book to have! (thumbsu

On 1/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, scburdet said:

this is not true according to the new CGC Guide Book, it is however, the most common reason for a 0.5 (2 of the 3 samples 0.5s in the book don't have a missing piece that's visible). I only throw it out there b/c an accumulation of defects plus a big missing piece could get dinged, improbable for this book but not impossible because there's clearly something weird going on with that top edge. Additional description (or photos) of what we're looking at would be helpful. My initial thought was that it was an entire strip off, but now I'm not as sure.

No but I bet the 0.5 in the book are missing something....a page, a centrefold, a poster. That or they are the most horrific looking stained, water damaged, big nibbled, fire singed examples to the point where the fact they exist and are maybe complete warrants the lowest of the low grades.

I just mean I have seen pieces the size missing on this book (which I can kind of see now but a different angle or inside cover shot would tell a better story) that have garnered a 2.0-2.5 grade