• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would it make more sense?

11 posts in this topic

I mainly deal with Golden, Silver and Bronze age books but I dipped my toes into modern books. I realized 95% of all the books printed are fully covered in ink but almost all have a small black area around the art. How could CGC give it white pages if the books pages are covered in every possible area with Ink. Would it not be impossible to give it anything besides white pages? Would it not make more sense to give it to grade on the pages color and other attributes. At my LCS they have several new books (Obviously) but some have better interior colors then others in terms of color saturation. 

Like: (Perfect=Color Saturation)

Full Coverage (for perfect pages with no defects)

Partial Coverage (near perfect pages with no defects

Faded Coverage (faded pages with no defects)

To be fair most books I have seen have little to no defects within the interior pages unless they are graded lower obviously. Just something that crosses my mind.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, Jaylam said:

Interesting point. Not like the newsprint of old. Baxter and mondo paper are not as prone to yellowing. What is the paper used in today's books and if it's completely inked, why even bother to denote a page quality? 

The paper in modern comics books is referred to as 'coated' paper - which means that a chemical agent has been added to the surface of the paper to make it brighter and smoother. It's resistant to moisture, dirt, etc. My guess is that if newsprint can stay 'white' for 80 years under the right circumstances, coated paper in the same environment will probably last twice that?

One of the issues facing coated papers is 'yellowing' of the paper. But that is different that newsprint changing color due to acidity or humidity - the yellowing of coated paper, as I understand it, is more a product of the environment causing the chemical agent of the paper to yellow - or (big OR) it's the actual chemical agent yellowing on it's own as it loses potency. This gets into a different conversation that I don't know that much about, but is a significant issue for archivists working with modern papers and digital printing. So it's a different process of degradation in the paper - perhaps CGC keeps the 'white' notation just as a matter of routine, because - as you point out - all paper on moderns is white.

If you have a humidity controlled environment and you collect moderns - my guess is that when your grandchildren's children sell your Modern collection, it will still have white pages.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/19/2023 at 6:08 PM, Mgc015 said:

“when your grandchildren's children sell your Modern collection, it will still have white pages.”

Will it still be called the Modern Age?

lol

By that time, the currently influential people will be gone and hopefully somebody with a brain will have taken up the mantle.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:26 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

I mainly deal with Golden, Silver and Bronze age books but I dipped my toes into modern books. I realized 95% of all the books printed are fully covered in ink but almost all have a small black area around the art. How could CGC give it white pages if the books pages are covered in every possible area with Ink. Would it not be impossible to give it anything besides white pages? Would it not make more sense to give it to grade on the pages color and other attributes. At my LCS they have several new books (Obviously) but some have better interior colors then others in terms of color saturation. 

Like: (Perfect=Color Saturation)

Full Coverage (for perfect pages with no defects)

Partial Coverage (near perfect pages with no defects

Faded Coverage (faded pages with no defects)

To be fair most books I have seen have little to no defects within the interior pages unless they are graded lower obviously. Just something that crosses my mind.

Modern is 1975 to present

What you're talking about "books fully covered in ink" would only include a small fraction of books that are considered Modern Age as that's a very recent thing.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:21 PM, gnommando said:

What you're talking about "books fully covered in ink" would only include a small fraction of books that are considered Modern Age as that's a very recent thing.

That should be changed as well. The 'modern age' is basically half of all comics ever. Modern as in 1990+ when basically every square inch of the interior pages are covered with ink without the ability to see the actually paper. 

On 1/19/2023 at 5:07 PM, Jaylam said:

Interesting point. Not like the newsprint of old. Baxter and mondo paper are not as prone to yellowing. What is the paper used in today's books and if it's completely inked, why even bother to denote a page quality? 

That's what I saying 😂 I don't get it

On 1/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, gnommando said:

:facepalm:

He's not talking about a CGC grading tier.