• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof of value for insurance
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I intend to send some fairly valuable comics to be graded, and I am worried about the Post Office or Federal Express losing the package (it *almost* happened in my last submission and the box was only found in their system after three weeks). I intend to fully insure the contents, but the Post Office requires "proof of value" in order to pay the insurance. So--what constitutes proof of value? Almost all my comics were bought in the 70's and 80's searching through stacks at comic stores, and I have no receipts for them (and if I did, the amounts would be minute fractions of current value). As the comics have not yet been graded, I don't have proof from the grading. 

Would taking pictures of the comics to be submitted for grading constitute proof of value? If so, how much detail would be needed? Front and back covers? Every page? 

And if not, what is my best option to not have to face the nightmare of losing books potentially worth thousands of dollars, paying insurance and collecting nothing?

I'm worried about the trip to CGC for grading--not the return trip.

Thanks for any information on the subject. 

I did not actually have to file a claim, since they found my package eventually, but here's what their website says:

3.2 Proof of Value

Either the mailer or the addressee must submit acceptable proof to establish the cost or value of the article at the time it was mailed. Proof of value should be submitted electronically or attached to the claim form under 1.5; otherwise, the claim cannot be processed. Other proof may be requested to help determine an accurate value. Examples are:

1. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.
  2. Paid repair bills; if the claim is for partial damage, estimates of repair costs or appraisals from a reputable dealer. Repair costs may not exceed the original purchase price.
  3. Receipt or invoice for the costs incurred to buy a surety bond required to reissue a lost item.
  4. Receipt or invoice of costs incurred for the reconstruction of nonnegotiable documents.
  5. A copy of a credit card statement or other documentation indicating the amount paid.
  6. For Internet transactions conducted through a Web-based payment network that offers payment services through a stored value account, provide a computer printout of the online transaction identifying the purchaser and seller, price paid, date of transaction, description of item purchased, and assurance that the transaction status is completed. The printout must clearly identify the Web-based payment network provider through which the Internet transaction was conducted.

None of which would be applicable to comic books bought long ago. 

1. Statement of Value from a reputable dealer . Take them to a dealer by you or near you in business should count as a reputable dealer and ask them to make you a statement of the comics you plan on submitting even if you have to pay for the time they put into it .That is what your worried about so this should take that worry off the table for you .