• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink Winter Featured Auction
3 3

68 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2023 at 10:15 AM, Michael Browning said:

That Celina cover didn’t reach $2,000, just as I knew it wouldn’t. I wonder if someone ran the price up when no one else cared and then they either bought it back or got stuck with it. 😉

Yeah it hit 1850 but that's not terrible in light of all this disappearing  liquidity in the market.   Everyone is tightening up

On 3/10/2023 at 2:10 PM, WolverineX said:

Yeah it hit 1850 but that's not terrible in light of all this disappearing  liquidity in the market.   Everyone is tightening up

That’s a new take on the state of the market. I don’t see a whole lot of people “tightening up,” especially not on good art. The bids on that cover painting didn’t move much after your earlier post. I mean, $450 from February 27 to the end of the auction meant there were two people who cared about it and even they didn’t care enough to go to $2,000.

I think, like the DC cover artist who draws covers like Where’s Waldo, many of these “hot” new artists are flashes in the pan and will be gone quicker than fidget spinners.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, Michael Browning said:

That’s a new take on the state of the market. I don’t see a whole lot of people “tightening up,” especially not on good art.

Equity, crypto, comic keys are down.  I mean we had a bank fail today and the FDIC had to take over.  Seems like liquidity has dropped a lot.  Don't know why the art market would react differently...

Edited by WolverineX

On 3/10/2023 at 3:34 PM, WolverineX said:

Equity, crypto, comic keys are down.  I mean we had a bank fail today and the FDIC had to take over.  Seems like liquidity has dropped a lot.  Don't know why the art market would react differently...

In 25 years of collecting and, during that time, living through several financial downturns, I’ve never seen original comic art fall with other markets. Matter of fact, I’ve seen people invest heavier into OA during those times.

On 3/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, Michael Browning said:

In 25 years of collecting and, during that time, living through several financial downturns, I’ve never seen original comic art fall with other markets. Matter of fact, I’ve seen people invest heavier into OA during those times.

Michael, I assume, given your other comments, you mean more on the vintage side rather than modern.

On 3/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Michael Browning said:

Of course. Modern art is overpriced and about as good of an investment as a new automobile.

True, to a certain degree. I feel like artists such as Stegman, Finch, Fabok & DWJ can hold their value. Maybe not now but in the near future. But when you have Peach Momoko art going as high as 7-10k... not so much.