• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink Winter Featured Auction
3 3

68 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2023 at 10:49 PM, Grant Turner said:

I had a few things in the c-link auction and a few in last week’s Heritage Wednesday 

my c-link stuff actually exceeded my expectations. Heritage however…

Are you talking about comic book sales or OA sales?

was the quality of your consignments the same for the two auction houses?

On 2/13/2023 at 4:42 AM, vodou said:

That’s an eBay $1 start and no reserve  result.

Usually have decent luck doing auctions this way just has to be in demand items… best results were in middle of the road stuff.. I find I make more on eBay then some auction houses I have sold… sweet spot 500-$3000 pages 

Edited by Dirtcheap31

On 2/14/2023 at 6:39 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

Usually have decent luck doing auctions this way just has to be in demand items… best results were in middle of the road stuff.. I find I make more on eBay then some auction houses I have sold… sweet spot 500-$3000 pages 

Oh and also needs to be fresh or semi fresh can be something that’s been sitting on eBay for like a year

On 2/15/2023 at 4:38 AM, Grant Turner said:

OA and yes.  I actually had 2 bigger ticket items in the Heritage auction and they tanked hard! 😔

One of the problems I have is pulling the trigger on something today when Heritage keeps rolling out good pieces in later actions. With so much art coming to market right now and less money to spend due to inflation (speaking personally), I'm passing up pages I would have purchased three years ago in favor of building cash for better ones.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:30 AM, KirbyCollector said:

One of the problems I have is pulling the trigger on something today when Heritage keeps rolling out good pieces in later actions. With so much art coming to market right now and less money to spend due to inflation (speaking personally), I'm passing up pages I would have purchased three years ago in favor of building cash for better ones.

The thing is, as an art collector, we can save up to buy what we want, but then, after we get the piece we really want, something else pops up that we want even more and we regret spending the cash and missing out on what we REALLY wanted … and then cycle starts all over again. I have been there many times. 🤦‍♂️

On 2/17/2023 at 8:32 PM, dirtymartini1 said:

After the terrible results from the past few CL auctions, sellers are taking no chances. They day 1 shill bidding game is strong. Protect those pages!!!

auction2-e1500492918856.jpg

I do think it’s a bit odd how high some prices are - already. I’m interested to see how this auction plays out, after the last few duds.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, cloud cloddie said:

Yeah, I put in my tracking bids in the first few hours like normal. Generally, it’s full of other tracking bids at that time. This go around, only two out of 26 lots didn’t immediately outbid me - not the norm to see such early aggressive bidding. 

Ha! I, too, was outbid and I thought it was very strange. I was the high bidder for, like, 30 seconds and then it went higher.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:23 PM, WolverineX said:

It’s a nice cover, but I’m surprised at how high it had already been bid up. She’s basically an unknown in the original art world and paintings done usually sell that high - especially new paintings by one-name artists who do t really have a following.

I can see her art going the same way as I expect Jenny Frison’s cover art to go - down - and whoever pays these outrageous prices today are going to regret it sooner than later.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:55 PM, Michael Browning said:

It’s a nice cover, but I’m surprised at how high it had already been bid up. She’s basically an unknown in the original art world and paintings done usually sell that high - especially new paintings by one-name artists who do t really have a following.

I can see her art going the same way as I expect Jenny Frison’s cover art to go - down - and whoever pays these outrageous prices today are going to regret it sooner than later.

Celina paintings have gone for 2-4k on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334626267519?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IML5JGlMQTK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e4i_8u3RTDi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 2/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, WolverineX said:

Whoever is paying that now will have to sit on it and wait for it to mature like a savings bond, because if they try to resell quickly, they won’t get their money back.

I don’t put much stock in the lasting power of these cover artists. People buy the variant cover comics because they have to have those for their collections. Original painted covers are cool on the comics, but there isn’t much nostalgia for variant covers, so I think all those will drop in value or see slight increases over a very long period of time.

I have been around a long time and have seen these new hot artists’ work sell high and then suffer from buyer’s remorse and comic art collectors realizing they paid way too much and won’t get their cash back will cause a quick drop in price across the board.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, WolverineX said:

That Celina cover didn’t reach $2,000, just as I knew it wouldn’t. I wonder if someone ran the price up when no one else cared and then they either bought it back or got stuck with it. 😉

I really don't think its all that good, personally (no disrespect to those that may care for it).   To me it looks more like a piece that took a lot of time, than one that is particularly good.   Respectable, but nothing more, at least to me.

Edited by Bronty