• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo CGC experience questions (Fan Expo Portland, Oregon Feb 17 thru 19)
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hello I was checking to see for any ones experience regarding any of the Fan Expo conventions? These are the replacement for wizard world and I'm wanting to get books signed and sent off for grading via CGC at the upcoming convention in Portland, Oregon that runs February 17 thru 19. I've dealt with agents of slabs for Jim Lee at rose city back in September and comic sketch art for the last 3 Washington State Summer Con. Hoping that someone here has done another fan expo and has some info or experience to share. 

On 1/22/2023 at 4:59 PM, JoeBrrr said:

Let me know if you find anything out - ECCC seems to not have a CGC presence either afaik. 

Hoping they have a facilitator. I wasn't going to go this year but checked guests randomly a few days ago and saw they added the main cast from clone wars. Have to pick up another clone wars 1 that I want to get 4x signed and graded for PC

On 1/22/2023 at 4:59 PM, JoeBrrr said:

Let me know if you find anything out - ECCC seems to not have a CGC presence either afaik. 

Reached out to Agents of Slabs and Comic Sketch Art. Neither one will be at Fan Expo but AOS said Captured Collectibles will be there and their website was accepting submissions. Going to reach out since I'm getting a few books signed and now I can probably get them graded

@aardvark88 i'll be there because i have an 8 year old and it's fun to be able to go to a show like this with him. but it's not a good show for comics. i do recall harley being at the last one a couple years ago, but i wouldn't be surprised if he is skipping this now. 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:04 AM, alexgross.com said:

@aardvark88 but it's not a good show for comics. i do recall harley being at the last one a couple years ago, but i wouldn't be surprised if he is skipping this now. 

Very surprised that Fan Expo Portland (fep) was more lame for comics than Fan Expo Vancouver (fev) on the same weekend, as FEP vendor booths were more $$ than at FEV. FEV had about 6.5 comic dealers and walls of statues, Funko, anime dolls, anime poster/prints. Plus exciting new vendors selling pudding, and Arthur Murray Dance :banana: lessons.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

truly the lamest convention hall size con i have ever seen for comics or toys. i was told it was because (A) first show in like 2 years since covid and (B) fan expo bought the former wizard world and many vendors had not come along. all i know is that going with my 8 year old made it alright with me, but i really expected at least some toy vendors with marvel legends and other character toys. and having more like 5 comics dealers would have been nice, especially considering this area has at least 5 or 6 killer comic shops. 

there were several good artists there like randy emberlin, michael cho, simon bisley, kevin maguire. sunday they were not very busy unfortunately and i'm sure they were questioning why they chose to attend this show. 

I set up at Fan Expo Philly, and while that had very few comic dealers, it had significantly more than just 2. (I think there were maybe 8 comic dealers.) I can empathize with both comic sellers and Fan Expo. Dealers were burned by Wizard the last few years -- expensive to set up, no real comic guests, poor promotion -- and Fan Expo hasn't been able to bring those dealers back to the fold.

On 2/20/2023 at 6:19 PM, aardvark88 said:

Very surprised that Fan Expo Portland (fep) was more lame for comics than Fan Expo Vancouver (fev) on the same weekend, as FEP vendor booths were more $$ than at FEV. FEV had about 6.5 comic dealers and walls of statues, Funko, anime dolls, anime poster/prints. Plus exciting new vendors selling pudding, and Arthur Murray Dance :banana: lessons.

What were they asking for the pudding?