• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any info would be great.
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2023 at 12:14 PM, marinecorp96 said:

Can anyone tell me what I have. As you can see the color is missing compared to a regular spider-woman #13. I was thinking sun bleaching but there is no color left at all but the back cover does have color. And I have not been able to find another one like it. What do you think?

20230109_131516 (1).jpg

20230109_131607 (1).jpg

No pic of the back cover?

I'll also say sun fading. I does not take long for this to happen. Leave a comic in direct sun for even a few weeks and you will see changes. I had a beater in the back window of my Saab in highschool that just cooked and you could hardly tell what used to be there. I wish high school me had had the wherewithall to take a pic because it was wild.

Over in the Warren Magazine Reading Club, we noticed that some copies of CREEPY #20 look more brown, and some look more green.

I proposed the hypothesis that if red inks fade first, then an originally brown cover might turn more greenish as the red fades from it.

A reasonable hypothesis?

On 1/24/2023 at 9:31 PM, Calmics said:

I vote for something like this:

https://recalledcomics.com/Sandman1Purple.php

That was another theory, although as far as I know, CGC does not recognize brown and green color variants.  Like the example you give, though, they do seem to exhibit a spectrum of sorts, with hints of more brownish areas on some of the greenish covers.

So I think we can conclude that they were probably all INTENDED to be brown, and either through a red-poor ink mix during printing or fading of the red ink during aging, some of them appear to be more green--but as of yet, there is no official variant recognized by CGC.

As a brown CREEPY #20 owner, I immediately posited that those copies in their original brown state were more pristine than those star-bellied sneetches which had aged themselves into greenness--but this theory kind of negates my hypothesis, because if it was a printing error, there could be green CREEPY #20 copies that are just as "pristine" as us brownies.

Just another failed attempt at elitism...