• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 Dell Baseball Magazine - Same Qualifications as Comics?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to submit a bunch of Sports Magazines for grading/encapsulation. Love the idea of experts offering opinions on grading for a newbie like me before I spend the money. Sorry if Sports magazines are different....assumed defects are defects so here goes. This is a 1953 Baseball Magazine. Thoughts on grade?

IMG-0888.jpg

IMG-0889.jpg

IMG-0887.jpg

generally, with *comic* magazines the grades are a little more lenient than comics (b/c of surface area) so it depends if you have a frame of reference. I am not sure if they have separate units that deal with comic magazines vs. other magazines, and in almost a year there have only been a handful of magazines posted to PGM and no sports books that I remember. There's some light creasing around the top edge, perhaps some wear or crimping around the spine, and some light soiling. These all are more minor defects & could be improved by a professional clean/press. I do see a long crease about 1/2 inch from the spine going down the back cover, and the writing on the cover (a letter I?). The source of the writing is important b/c it's treated differently whether it's a distributors mark, or just random writing. I don't know what to call this as I don't remember a mark like this before. I'm going to call this a 6.5/7.0, but with a high degree of uncertainty. IDK where they'd be chatting, but finding a community of people that routinely look at sports magazines would be advantageous as I don't feel qualified. 

On 1/24/2023 at 10:12 PM, scburdet said:

generally, with *comic* magazines the grades are a little more lenient than comics (b/c of surface area) so it depends if you have a frame of reference. I am not sure if they have separate units that deal with comic magazines vs. other magazines, and in almost a year there have only been a handful of magazines posted to PGM and no sports books that I remember. There's some light creasing around the top edge, perhaps some wear or crimping around the spine, and some light soiling. These all are more minor defects & could be improved by a professional clean/press. I do see a long crease about 1/2 inch from the spine going down the back cover, and the writing on the cover (a letter I?). The source of the writing is important b/c it's treated differently whether it's a distributors mark, or just random writing. I don't know what to call this as I don't remember a mark like this before. I'm going to call this a 6.5/7.0, but with a high degree of uncertainty. IDK where they'd be chatting, but finding a community of people that routinely look at sports magazines would be advantageous as I don't feel qualified. 

Thanks, good to know👍

On 1/24/2023 at 6:41 PM, dallenRMD said:

I am getting ready to submit a bunch of Sports Magazines for grading/encapsulation. Love the idea of experts offering opinions on grading for a newbie like me before I spend the money. Sorry if Sports magazines are different....assumed defects are defects so here goes. This is a 1953 Baseball Magazine. Thoughts on grade?

IMG-0888.jpg

IMG-0889.jpg

IMG-0887.jpg

Sweet old Mantle cover✔️‼️🔥

On 1/24/2023 at 9:12 PM, scburdet said:

Trying to find such a community....thanks for your information.