• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your one and only favorite Silver Age Cover
2 2

85 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2023 at 3:17 PM, bronze johnny said:

(tsk)- please follow the format and place  your single favorite cover. Which is it? The “wood” or the “world?”

The World for silver.

The Wood for all else!

On 2/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, october said:

Foxhole 3 is a little too early, Batman 227/251 are a little too late, so those are out. Silver Surfer 4, GI Combat 78, ASM 50 or Strange Adventure 110 might be the one tomorrow, but today it's this guy...

001.jpg

Awesome pick!

On 1/29/2023 at 12:47 PM, KCOComics said:

Not an easy decision at all. 

The first comic that came to mind was FF49. I love the scale, SS was my favorite character growing up and Kirby was truly in his prime. 

ASM50 is another one I considered. While the comic is noteworthy for Kingpin, Romita's cover is iconic. 

I also strongly considered some of Sterenko's early Fury covers. 2 and 6 specifically. 

But I think the comic that checks all the boxes for me, is Hulk 1. It's iconic. It's significant. The cover tells a story in and of itself. It's King Kirby. 

Honorable mention: Avengers 57, SS 1,3 and 4, FF1 (another Kirby monster) FF12, FF13 and FF72

20200226_150249.jpg

So many to choose from as per above, but I would add Showcase #4 to the mix for its uniquely classic look. It (and others like Silver Surfer #4 and IH#1 and AF#15) ALWAYS catch my eye wherever I see it.  But after two weeks of mulling it over, it's Incredible Hulk #1 for me because the cover is truly transcendent!  It not only reflects the seismic transition from Atlas's monsters to Marvel's superheroes, but also classically depicts both the Hulk's split personality and the emergence of the Silver Age's first anti-hero!  A cover befitting the SA's Mount Rushmore.  

Edited by Pantodude