• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Superman #55

5 posts in this topic

This was part of a ill advised, hasty purchase by me. This book has a nasty spine roll with the cover barely hanging on and the centerfold is detached. The comic is complete. I don't think given the spine roll, CGC will slab it. Maybe a press can correct? Probably the cover comes loose for sure if it is pressed? A CGC 2.0 sold for $256. Any possible way does anyone see this book getting a 1.5 to 2.0 if a successful press can be done? Who would do it? It is a key being a SOTI book. As always, your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated. 

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm3.jpg

sm4.jpg

sm5.jpg

sm6.jpg

sm7.jpg

sm8.jpg

sm9.jpg

Edited by O Doyle Rules

I'm pretty sure CGC would certify this book, as GA specimens with severe spine rolls are relatively common (and nowhere on your book does the cover extend past the interior pages).  However, I'm also pretty sure it would have to be encapsulated in a magazine holder.  (thumbsu

The point you raise about pressing is interesting.  Would your copy have a better "curb appeal" (and therefore a higher market value) after a well-executed pressing, even if that pressing caused the cover to fully detach?  It might.  :foryou:

Edited by zzutak

I'm wavering on a grade here. In addition to the structural issues, the stains have me thinking 1.0, but I've seen examples of GA books, especially older ones, grading out higher than what the damage would appear to warrant. I'll say 1.5, with a chance at 1.8. Not sure I see a 2.0.