• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad condition Captain America 1

36 posts in this topic

Hello comic people. My late grandfather had a very valuable collection of National Geographic magazines as he worked as a photographer for them for a period in the 1970's. In going through that collection, and an abundance of the labeled items that were stored with it, I found a copy of a very old Captain America comic book from 1941. It appears there is no cover page to it, begins with the first page of the inside. It's in pretty rough condition and quite brittle/fragile has anything of its age would be. It's probably not worth my time, but is this something that people collect or have interest in? If so is this something that this CGC would provide a preservation service for? Have they done this in the past? Are there examples of that? It's kind of the blind leading the blind here, so any help or advice would be appreciated. 

On 1/31/2023 at 2:05 PM, Comicilliterate said:

Hello comic people. My late grandfather had a very valuable collection of National Geographic magazines as he worked as a photographer for them for a period in the 1970's. In going through that collection, and an abundance of the labeled items that were stored with it, I found a copy of a very old Captain America comic book from 1941. It appears there is no cover page to it, begins with the first page of the inside. It's in pretty rough condition and quite brittle/fragile has anything of its age would be. It's probably not worth my time, but is this something that people collect or have interest in? If so is this something that this CGC would provide a preservation service for? Have they done this in the past? Are there examples of that? It's kind of the blind leading the blind here, so any help or advice would be appreciated. 

Are you able to post an image of the comic?  If it’s just preservation you’re after, you may be best served by putting the comic in a Mylar sleeve.

Captain America Comics from 1941 is a very valuable comic.  A complete copy with its cover would sell for tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands depending on condition.  A copy in the condition you describe would still be valuable and very sought after.  People even collect single pages from that book.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:53 PM, steveinthecity said:

Are you able to post an image of the comic?  If it’s just preservation you’re after, you may be best served by putting the comic in a Mylar sleeve.

Would a local comic shop have a mylar sleeve? And

On 1/31/2023 at 7:17 PM, SOTIcollector said:

Captain America Comics from 1941 is a very valuable comic.  A complete copy with its cover would sell for tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands depending on condition.  A copy in the condition you describe would still be valuable and very sought after.  People even collect single pages from that book.

I assumed condition would be a factor, it is in a current state that even my handling it while trying to determine what it is has caused brittle edges to fall away. The paper is very brown, like a paper lunch sack - and equally deteriorated. Honestly, I don't what worth it would be to someone when it's likely to disintegrate just by opening it up. I was looking for somebody or some place that offers a preservation service with the know-how of what to do with this type of thing if it can be salvaged. I would definitely like to capitalize on it if that's at all possible, but at this point, and it's condition, I'm wondering how futile that is.

Yes, I'll get an image up first chance I get back to the locker it's currently stored at.....this has been number 96 of my 134 things I need to do with all that stuff. Thanks for your advice.

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. 

There isn't really a preservation service that can undo brittle pages and some of the things your describing.

I agree with getting in Myler with a backing board. You'll likely need to buy 50 bags and 50 boards, but it's worth it even if you need to throw out the rest. Get Golden Age size. That's important. 

You could have GC grade it also.  It will come back as NG, but the advantage is, they'll put in a plastic slab, count the remaining pages and you'll know exactly what you have.  That will make it easier to sell for a fair price.  Grading would be expensive, but it's something I would consider in your situation. 

As @SOTIcollector said, even in it's current fragile state and missing the cover wrap, this is a valuable comic. Many people are looking for interior pages. It's such an important book, that allot of us would love to own it in any condition. 

My advice:

1.) Take a few photos. Exterior and if you can turn pages without damaging it some interior photos

2.) Getting it at least in Mylar and properly stored. Go to a comic shop tomorrow and ideally it should live in a dark, temperature controlled closet (like a bedroom closet) 

3) decide what you want to do it with it. If you want to sell, maybe consider CGC. If you want to keep it for a while, your done. 

I strongly advise against a rookie trying to insert a brittle/degraded coverless comic into a Mylar sleeve.  (tsk)  The OP is not looking to preserve this comic but to "capitalize on it."  :sumo:

A basic fact about valuable ephemera: collectors will almost always pay more when the counterparty is an experienced/trusted seller.  The OP has zero experience selling valuable comics.  There's a 99% probability his "net" gain will be greatest if he consigns this item to an experienced/trusted seller.  The commission will almost certainly be offset by a much greater hammer price.

Perhaps this image will convince the OP that his Cap #1 deserves to rank somewhat higher than 96 on his 134-item to do list.  :foryou:

Cap-1.thumb.png.e1063775d2f5c8f7773fd800ce6e8efd.png

I would definitely get the book graded, right now on eBay there are individual pages from Captain America 1 (1941) selling for...

CGC Graded Page 6 - BIN $2999.00

CGC Graded Page 13 - BIN $4998.00

Weather you send the book to have it graded or are just putting it in a Mylite with Acid Free Backing Board, be extremely careful handling this book, especially if it has brittle pages.

If you are not getting it graded you can also purchase a Facsimile Cover to help protect the book.

Be sure to keep the book away from UV light, heat sources, moisture/water and in a controlled environment to prevent the book from getting worse.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:56 AM, marvelmaniac said:

right now on eBay there are individual pages from Captain America 1 (1941) selling for...

CGC Graded Page 6 - BIN $2999.00

CGC Graded Page 13 - BIN $4998.00

True enough, but I'd advise against using "asking" prices rather than "sold for" prices to establish/estimate any item's market value -- especially when it comes to eBaay listings.  lol

On 2/1/2023 at 12:27 PM, zzutak said:

True enough, but I'd advise against using "asking" prices rather than "sold for" prices to establish/estimate any item's market value -- especially when it comes to eBaay listings.  lol

I understand that eBay sold auctions are much more accurate to determine FMV, unfortunately there are not any Captain America 1's up for auction or any sold auctions from the past, so we use what we have.

On 2/1/2023 at 3:35 AM, KCOComics said:

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. 

There isn't really a preservation service that can undo brittle pages and some of the things your describing.

I agree with getting in Myler with a backing board. You'll likely need to buy 50 bags and 50 boards, but it's worth it even if you need to throw out the rest. Get Golden Age size. That's important. 

You could have GC grade it also.  It will come back as NG, but the advantage is, they'll put in a plastic slab, count the remaining pages and you'll know exactly what you have.  That will make it easier to sell for a fair price.  Grading would be expensive, but it's something I would consider in your situation. 

As @SOTIcollector said, even in it's current fragile state and missing the cover wrap, this is a valuable comic. Many people are looking for interior pages. It's such an important book, that allot of us would love to own it in any condition. 

My advice:

1.) Take a few photos. Exterior and if you can turn pages without damaging it some interior photos

2.) Getting it at least in Mylar and properly stored. Go to a comic shop tomorrow and ideally it should live in a dark, temperature controlled closet (like a bedroom closet) 

3) decide what you want to do it with it. If you want to sell, maybe consider CGC. If you want to keep it for a while, your done. 

50 bags? Put one inside the other? Seems excessive. One fella here mentioned, seemingly condescendingly and with frustration, that I am more interested in capitalizing than preserving. Well wouldn't you expect that the latter would be if grave importance if I'm interested in the prior? But there's always 2 cents from the peanut gallery I suppose. Anyway, you warned of it being expensive. How expensive are we talking? It's hard to imagine my idea of expensive ( say $1000+) to be a factor, but I haven't the slightest clue. Now to the funny fella's comment on the value of the National Geographic magazines; for the most part I would attribute that value to more of a sentimental value. Some of the photographs in these magazines represent the courage of the photographer who unquestionably risked his life at times to get the shot, whether that danger came from being in close proximity to an extremely dangerous wild animal, or in the midst of an armed and unpredictable militia of ungoverned poachers. Some of these editions have accompanying photographs, negatives, autographs and personally diary written accounts with incredibly historic figures like Jane Goodall, 3rd world leaders and occasions of diplomatic meetings and conflict. No offense, but some of the content that comes along with them would rightfully deserve more value than what is nothing more than a coloring book for kids who still hold the nestalgia for a coloring book that can't find anymore. But to that token, at least this coloring book, and it's main character stood for an integrity and honor of a democratic republic, and something of caliber that symbolizes a generation that literally doesn't exist in today's generations and their coloring books of smut and other garbage anyone of relative caliber would spend any time on. So, that said, is it Mylar, Mylite, or the other spelling provided?

Yes, I'll get an image up first chance I get back to the locker it's currently stored at.....this has been number 96 of my 134 things I need to do with all that stuff. Thanks for your advice.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, seanfingh said:

All he did was laugh at the notion of 50 bags and boards one inside the other.  You need to lighten up.  You also need to realize that you will, most likely, get the best possible free information on the internet in here.  You are just coming off as a tool, so stop it.

This isn't the first place I've sought some advice, and you wouldn't believe the unjustified arrogance that condescends my ignorance in this arena. It's literally laughable, but equally frustrating. I mean now I know why the Simpson's character that runs a comic book shop is comprised of the voice, personality and physical makeup that he is.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:40 PM, seanfingh said:

Well someone as suave, macho, and constantly laid in high school, such as yourself, should know that bad treatment in other places does not equate to bad treatment here.  So gaze deeply at your own chiseled features, drink deeply of the fountain of awesome that is your life, breathe deeply to produce the inner peace that must come so easily to one such as yourself, and wait for the CGC cavalry to make your life even better, were that possible. 

You must have gone to high school with me.

On 2/1/2023 at 3:40 PM, seanfingh said:

Well someone as suave, macho, and constantly laid in high school, such as yourself, should know that bad treatment in other places does not equate to bad treatment here.  So gaze deeply at your own chiseled features, drink deeply of the fountain of awesome that is your life, breathe deeply to produce the inner peace that must come so easily to one such as yourself, and wait for the CGC cavalry to make your life even better, were that possible. 

I <3 you.

lol

On 2/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, Comicilliterate said:

Illiterate would seem more properly appointed to your grammar.

Illiterate doesn't apply to me. I let you know I am deaf and I do my best with "hearing" English. Don't be ignorant here. Please provide us the picture of Captain America that would be solved quickly. With the picture, we will be glad to help you here.