• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad condition Captain America 1

36 posts in this topic

My process was based on the year noted here, along with what made me assume this was number 1 to search and find a site that lets you read a comic book cover to cover, and that site indicating this to be the book I mention. After more inspection per the pics provided, the inner pages appear to be in far better condition, and regretfully pleased to say, I believe what is deteriorated for now has come to a halt.144907.png.e4000f6b2c2f46dcf1c56dc831409a90.png

On 2/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, Comicilliterate said:

50 bags? Put one inside the other? Seems excessive. One fella here mentioned, seemingly condescendingly and with frustration, that I am more interested in capitalizing than preserving. Well wouldn't you expect that the latter would be if grave importance if I'm interested in the prior? But there's always 2 cents from the peanut gallery I suppose. Anyway, you warned of it being expensive. How expensive are we talking? It's hard to imagine my idea of expensive ( say $1000+) to be a factor, but I haven't the slightest clue. Now to the funny fella's comment on the value of the National Geographic magazines; for the most part I would attribute that value to more of a sentimental value. Some of the photographs in these magazines represent the courage of the photographer who unquestionably risked his life at times to get the shot, whether that danger came from being in close proximity to an extremely dangerous wild animal, or in the midst of an armed and unpredictable militia of ungoverned poachers. Some of these editions have accompanying photographs, negatives, autographs and personally diary written accounts with incredibly historic figures like Jane Goodall, 3rd world leaders and occasions of diplomatic meetings and conflict. No offense, but some of the content that comes along with them would rightfully deserve more value than what is nothing more than a coloring book for kids who still hold the nestalgia for a coloring book that can't find anymore. But to that token, at least this coloring book, and it's main character stood for an integrity and honor of a democratic republic, and something of caliber that symbolizes a generation that literally doesn't exist in today's generations and their coloring books of smut and other garbage anyone of relative caliber would spend any time on. So, that said, is it Mylar, Mylite, or the other spelling provided?

Yes, I'll get an image up first chance I get back to the locker it's currently stored at.....this has been number 96 of my 134 things I need to do with all that stuff. Thanks for your advice.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

I just meant, you'll have to buy a pack of 50. But only use one. 

20230201_152032.thumb.jpg.9f1be0724aba6e8af8215985ded8936f.jpgOddly, as The Captain America is out of character for my grandfather to have amongst the other publications he had stored, I found these three books in a separate but same area. I don't find any significance in them unless I'm missing something. I almost wonder if he had some type of interaction or correspondence with somebody involved in these books. That could be a rabbit hole I never find an answer in. It's odd but is what it is.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:54 AM, zzutak said:

Perhaps this image will convince the OP that his Cap #1 deserves to rank somewhat higher than 96 on his 134-item to do list.  :foryou:

Cap-1.thumb.png.e1063775d2f5c8f7773fd800ce6e8efd.png

On 2/1/2023 at 10:56 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I would definitely get the book graded, right now on eBay there are individual pages from Captain America 1 (1941) selling for...

CGC Graded Page 6 - BIN $2999.00

CGC Graded Page 13 - BIN $4998.00

So you can tear it apart and sell it page by page as you need the money.

After researching some, and heeding the advice of some of you, I can say that CGC apparently has exceptionally excellent customer service because they directed me to somebody that has been willing to answer all of my questions and will guide me through every process necessary to properly complete what I was hoping I could do with this comic book relic. I must say is a breath of fresh air to have somebody that knows what they're doing and willing to do it.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:54 AM, zzutak said:

I strongly advise against a rookie trying to insert a brittle/degraded coverless comic into a Mylar sleeve.  (tsk)  The OP is not looking to preserve this comic but to "capitalize on it."  :sumo:

A basic fact about valuable ephemera: collectors will almost always pay more when the counterparty is an experienced/trusted seller.  The OP has zero experience selling valuable comics.  There's a 99% probability his "net" gain will be greatest if he consigns this item to an experienced/trusted seller.  The commission will almost certainly be offset by a much greater hammer price.

Perhaps this image will convince the OP that his Cap #1 deserves to rank somewhat higher than 96 on his 134-item to do list.  :foryou:

Cap-1.thumb.png.e1063775d2f5c8f7773fd800ce6e8efd.png

Where do I find these listings?

On 2/1/2023 at 3:13 PM, KCOComics said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

I just meant, you'll have to buy a pack of 50. But only use one. 

No worries, my perception and quickness to assume, which was tainted by initial experiences - all apparently serve to appoint me as the jerk. Until I actually took the time to contact CGC myself, I felt this endeavor wasn't worth the time. Kudos and accolades to CGC.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:10 PM, Comicilliterate said:

No worries, my perception and quickness to assume, which was tainted by initial experiences - all apparently serve to appoint me as the jerk. Until I actually took the time to contact CGC myself, I felt this endeavor wasn't worth the time. Kudos and accolades to CGC.

I sent you a private message with some pricing info, just so you understand what you have. 

And the pages don't look nearly as bad as you described. So I imagine you'll do very well (if it is indeed Cap1, which shouldnt be to hard to figure out...I can actually help with that too if you need it). 

On 2/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, Comicilliterate said:

No offense, but some of the content that comes along with them would rightfully deserve more value than what is nothing more than a coloring book for kids who still hold the nestalgia for a coloring book that can't find anymore.

You must get far in life - you show up to a message board for collecting and grading comics, ask for help, receive great advice, immediately get defensive for no reason, and then insult everyone by calling them coloring books for kids? Ok, cool guy with 134 things on his list. (I got 99 problems, but yours isn't one).

On 2/1/2023 at 6:10 PM, Comicilliterate said:

Welcome to the boards. Thanks for the pictures.

Your coverless book with two partial pages would fetch at about $20 to $25K.   Take a good look here.  According to GPA, the incomplete (probably coverless) copy of CAC #1 (CGC 0.5) was sold for $39.5K in 2020.

1923340219_ScreenShot2023-02-01at8_20_20PM.thumb.png.6911c849d79b44062729a0c35d7f8e16.png

314183811_ScreenShot2023-02-01at8_20_38PM.png.f23ea2c888e4b4e14888d088cc118088.png

Edited by JollyComics