• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Studios' SUPERMAN written & directed by James Gunn (2025)
3 3

277 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2023 at 9:00 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Going job-to-job saving people from basic disasters sounds like "easy" choices to me.

Yes, but I don't think much of the time was spent on those or really highlighted his attitude towards it - the emphasis was more on portraying the 'Jesus' imagery rather than an overall happy Superman (most of those shots of him saving people he looked grumpy and almost bored to be doing it :D ) 

On 6/28/2023 at 9:03 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Yes, but I don't think much of the time was spent on those or really highlighted his attitude towards it - the emphasis was more on portraying the 'Jesus' imagery rather than an overall happy Superman (most of those shots of him saving people he looked grumpy and almost bored to be doing it :D ) 

This is just flat-out wrong. There were 2 Jesus homages in MoS. He looked bored? Like completing a menial (=easy) task?

On 6/28/2023 at 9:03 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Well other than when Clark saved his fellow shipmate from the falling cage or saving the oil rig workers you could be right.

(:

On 6/28/2023 at 9:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

Well other than when Clark saved his fellow shipmate from the falling cage or saving the oil rig workers you could be right.

(:

Actually, the shipmate saved Clark from the falling cage. Which I always kinda felt was weird. A regular human can push Clark? However, I'm also now remembering that HS bully pushing him into the fence in a flashback. Still kinda weird.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:05 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is just flat-out wrong. There were 2 Jesus homages in MoS. He looked bored? Like completing a menial (=easy) task?

If two hard consequences in a movie is too much for some, than two Jesus's are as well (which really, is always too much when heavy handed imo).

That is my point though with menial tasks, they are extremely easy for him and something many might consider 'beneath him' but I prefer a Superman that has joy in doing the little things. A smile and friendly glow about him doing it, showing how him helping in anyway he can is what brings him contentment. This isn't a slight against prior version of Superman, but I think we need to return to this sort of representation (which would make the major consequences you speak of even more impactful!)

Edited by Sauce Dog

The casting seems OK to me. What I do question is one of the premises apparently being used in the movie.  That this will be a Superman being introduced to a world that already has super powered people, namely the Authority.  

Not sure these universes need to coexist (although they sorta did in the comics if I rememebr).  It just seem awkward to me, and is a drastic departure from the world of Superman as general audiences know it.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:29 AM, Sauce Dog said:

If two hard consequences in a movie is too much for some, than two Jesus's are as well (which really, is always too much when heavy handed imo).

That is my point though with menial tasks, they are extremely easy for him and something many might consider 'beneath him' but I prefer a Superman that has joy in doing the little things. A smile and friendly glow about him doing it, showing how him helping in anyway he can is what brings him contentment. This isn't a slight against prior version of Superman, but I think we need to return to this sort of representation (which would make the major consequences you speak of even more impactful!)

It's the same "some", not separate critics.

As no one can force him to do anything, a Superman who continues to choose to save people must get joy out of it. (shrug)

On 6/27/2023 at 6:56 PM, drotto said:

Don't know the actor gal or the show. This was funny. Solid Boardie reviews, too. I'll discuss with my lady friend! 

On 6/28/2023 at 9:46 AM, TupennyConan said:

Don't know the actor gal or the show. This was funny. Solid Boardie reviews, too. I'll discuss with my lady friend! 

She can be a bit annoying at times in the show. I suspect that is due to the writers not the actress.  She seem to do her job extremely well.  Ms Maisel is a legitimately good boardering on great series.

The actress to me us also a bit of a chameleon. Her Ms Maisel look comes across as very different from how she looks in real life.  I think once they do the costumes, makeup, and hair she will really give a Lois Lane vibe.

On 6/28/2023 at 9:17 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Actually, the shipmate saved Clark from the falling cage. Which I always kinda felt was weird. A regular human can push Clark? However, I'm also now remembering that HS bully pushing him into the fence in a flashback. Still kinda weird.

doh!

You're right on the shipmate.

As far as the traditional complaint Clark didn't smile at all - I thought that complaint grew stale years ago. Go figure!

On someone being able to push him, for me I wouldn't let things like that lead to yet more angst. Maybe caught unaware his abilities can't compensate for a push or hit when he's fixated on something. No big deal.

It's feeling like with some we have yet another Festivis Thread now. My previous Superman expectations were not met - let's complain about it again here with a new cast announcement.

On 6/28/2023 at 6:50 AM, RedRaven said:

My wife got me hooked on Mrs Maisel. One of the few TV series I have enjoyed over the last several years (I am apathetic to most everything I watch it seems). Brosnahan was great in the series but Alex Borstein stole the show IMO. 

Lois Griffin is always gonna win in a contest of better/bitter wives.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:24 AM, Bosco685 said:

On someone being able to push him, for me I wouldn't let things like that lead to yet more angst. Maybe caught unaware his abilities can't compensate for a push or hit when he's fixated on something. No big deal.

Just a nitpick. I know my favorite movies aren't perfect.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:50 AM, RedRaven said:

My wife got me hooked on Mrs Maisel. One of the few TV series I have enjoyed over the last several years (I am apathetic to most everything I watch it seems). Brosnahan was great in the series but Alex Borstein stole the show IMO. 

The show was extremely well cast, who does not love Tony Shalhoub.  The actor for me that deserved more credit however was Luke Kirby as Lenny Bruce.

On 6/28/2023 at 3:36 AM, Larryw7 said:

Luthor again. I don't mind him as a supporting character, but they need to use other villains too. Eight Superman movies since 1978, and we still haven't seen Brainiac.

Totally agree with you!

Also, I get the criticism of the villains in Superman 3 and 4, but even with the hokeyness it would have been so much better if 3 used brainiac instead of what we got and Superman 4 used Bizzaro instead of Nuclear man.  Even with the production cheapness of 4 it would have been better if it was that character with the same plot instead of what we got. 

I don't know the guy actor, but when I saw the list of the "top 3' finalists I kind of pegged him as the most "Superman looking" of the bunch.  

Brosnahan is great.  I was worried that someone, somewhere, might have a freak out that she's older than the man (in her 30's *gasp*) and go young, young, young! (I mean, Cavil was "too old" at 40, and movies always want their ladies to be younger than their men). But I think genuine talent won out in that discussion. 

I also agree that going straight to Luthor as the main villain in this movie is a disappointment.  They should have taken a cue from Nolan's Batman films where he didn't use the Joker in the first one and picked two previously unused villains (Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul) for the initial outing,  Then, when that worked, bam, hit them with the Joker for the sequel and made it one of the best movies ever.   

On 6/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, Axelrod said:

I don't know the guy actor, but when I saw the list of the "top 3' finalists I kind of pegged him as the most "Superman looking" of the bunch.  

Brosnahan is great.  I was worried that someone, somewhere, might have a freak out that she's older than the man (in her 30's *gasp*) and go young, young, young! (I mean, Cavil was "too old" at 40, and movies always want their ladies to be younger than their men). But I think genuine talent won out in that discussion. 

I also agree that going straight to Luthor as the main villain in this movie is a disappointment.  They should have taken a cue from Nolan's Batman films where he didn't use the Joker in the first one and picked two previously unused villains (Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul) for the initial outing,  Then, when that worked, bam, hit them with the Joker for the sequel and made it one of the best movies ever.   

this is exactly right.