• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Grade Is In! Major tear affects on grade? Asm 16
2 2

13 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2023 at 10:15 PM, Cor88b said:

I kind of figured it'd be a .5

I'd bet against that. The tears section of the CGC Guide does not describe tears through multiple pages explicitly, but being through the back & no apparent loss of pieces would work in your favor. Looks like 8 pages are torn give or take? On my second look, I noticed that the triangle piece center o the spine isn't just another tear/piece of the cover like the one above, but looks like a notch through the whole book? I might have to slip down to 1.0 if that's the case. Although, the Guide again leaves this very ambiguous saying even a "small" hole through the entire book could drop the grade to 8.0-9.0. I've got to imagine they mean a pinhole, but small is not defined. A notch isn't a hole, but it's the closest thing in the list of defects.

On 2/5/2023 at 8:59 PM, scburdet said:

I'd bet against that. The tears section of the CGC Guide does not describe tears through multiple pages explicitly, but being through the back & no apparent loss of pieces would work in your favor. Looks like 8 pages are torn give or take? On my second look, I noticed that the triangle piece center o the spine isn't just another tear/piece of the cover like the one above, but looks like a notch through the whole book? I might have to slip down to 1.0 if that's the case. Although, the Guide again leaves this very ambiguous saying even a "small" hole through the entire book could drop the grade to 8.0-9.0. I've got to imagine they mean a pinhole, but small is not defined. A notch isn't a hole, but it's the closest thing in the list of defects.

Yep it's a little cut from someone.  Thanks.  I'd be happy with a 1.0 and up.

Congratulations! A great example of what a good C&P can do. If not for tears, this book would easily grade out to a 6.0 (IMHO).