• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*Grade Is In!* PGM: Saga 1
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Debated posting this here, but figured it never hurts to have a range of eras/grades here for anyone who wants to test themselves (also, this is probably my favorite book/series that I own). Maybe my first book to submit that I think has a real shot at 9.6/9.8 after a C&P, but I'd love other's input. And sorry for the white on white--I didn't realize how annoying this might be until after I'd taken the photos...whoops. Only thing that jumps out to my inexperienced eye is the bottom corner of the spine, but I think this may be an allowable manufacturing defect since it appears in nearly every other copy of this issue I've seen. Anyway, have at it!

Saga1.jpg

Saga2.jpg

Saga3.jpg

Saga4.jpg

Saga5.jpg

Saga6.jpg

Saga7.jpg

Saga8.jpg

Saga9.jpg

Saga10.jpg

Saga11.jpg

Saga12.jpg

Edited by Nsschenks

On 2/6/2023 at 3:00 PM, scburdet said:

so much white. Really shows the smudges on my laptop screen well. I think there might be a small smudge or something on the back cover >9.2

Yeah, I noticed that and wasn't sure. It's much less glaring in person. Hoping a good dry clean can help--one good thing about white covers is that cleaning goes much farther with them, at least from what I've seen (though they also show smudges much more easily soo...give and take I guess lol).

First 9.8 I've gotten back, and very psyched it was this one! A bit of a bummer though--this, along with most of my other books this sub--came back with newton rings on the front. They're not too bad on this one, but it is a little frustrating, especially when they're in really obvious spots. I'd expect them on occasion, but I think like 7 of my 9 books came back with rings. Feels like this is something that needs to be addressed at some point, no?

Saga98.jpg

On 4/16/2023 at 5:22 PM, Nsschenks said:

newton rings

I covered myself well with the >9.2. Very nice result. I'm pretty sure (trying not to step in anything again) that you can return books with newton rings to be reholdered as a Mechanical Error without being charged as long as you do it quickly. Verify that with customer service. My only word of caution is that I sent back a Mechanical Error for a case that was not quite snapped together on one side in November. It's been sitting in "Scheduled for Grading" limbo ever since. I can't say that I was expecting it to take +6 months to turn that around, so if you have time-sensitive plans for the books, be aware.

On 4/16/2023 at 7:09 PM, scburdet said:

I covered myself well with the >9.2. Very nice result. I'm pretty sure (trying not to step in anything again) that you can return books with newton rings to be reholdered as a Mechanical Error without being charged as long as you do it quickly. Verify that with customer service. My only word of caution is that I sent back a Mechanical Error for a case that was not quite snapped together on one side in November. It's been sitting in "Scheduled for Grading" limbo ever since. I can't say that I was expecting it to take +6 months to turn that around, so if you have time-sensitive plans for the books, be aware.

Oh good to know, I didn’t know newton rings qualified. Just got the books two days ago so I’ll call them tomorrow. A few are in really bad spots on the front cover, so would be nice to not have that. None are really time sensitive. The Saga is for PC though and would ideally like it to not have rings.

On 4/16/2023 at 8:14 PM, Nsschenks said:

newton rings qualified

I found someone else in the forum stating this, but it might depend on severity. A lot of the information I Googled is several years old so IDK what the most current position of CGC is.