• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edmonton Collector Con - June 11, 2023

29 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, Lobo1969 said:

Glad you are getting your book back Ryan!

I failed to check if this was your book yesterday until I went to Kastner for a pick up today and then I remembered to ask about it. I guess it's taken care of though, according to the manager.

PM me if you get a face/name to the crime. I'm doing some sleuthing on my end, lol.

PM sent.

The next ECC is coming up on June 11th. Rather than start a new thread for each show, let's just keep adding onto this one.

I will have a bunch of new raw Silver and Bronze books that have come in between the Calgary Expo and this show. 

Just a reminder that the show is just a little over 48 hours away. It should be another good one. 

If any fellow boardies will be there drop by and say hi. I will be set up with @Artboy99 @thehumantorch @500Club right in front of the main doors as you walk in as per usual.

Edited by kimik

The crowd was much smaller than the first show of they year, likely only 1/3 of the people. That being said, it was a decent one day show for me thanks to the sale of my last three high grade Jungles and Jumbos late in the day. Otherwise, sales were slower than the last show and stuff that has been selling well all year was cold. Table top sales were slow - people were passing on those books to go box diving which was a change. I could have done the show with just 4 longs of SA/BA, 2 longs of copper/modern keys, and 4 boxes of slabs - that would have been much easier to load in and out than what I actually took to the show. lol 

On 6/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, kimik said:

The crowd was much smaller than the first show of they year, likely only 1/3 of the people.  Otherwise, sales were slower than the last show and stuff that has been selling well all year was cold. lol 

Were sales slower because they added the 2nd hall which increased competition by about 50%? Was the crowd less because folks were lining up for Across the Spider-verse, Fast X movies or shopping for Father's Day which is next week?

On 6/12/2023 at 9:31 PM, aardvark88 said:

Were sales slower because they added the 2nd hall which increased competition by about 50%? Was the crowd less because folks were lining up for Across the Spider-verse, Fast X movies or shopping for Father's Day which is next week?

This show is usually slower than the first collector con of the year..  Just less people coming in and less money being spent.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:46 PM, thehumantorch said:
On 6/12/2023 at 9:31 PM, aardvark88 said:

This show is usually slower than the first collector con of the year..  Just less people coming in and less money being spent.

As Dave said, the crowd is usually just the more serious collectors at this show. Dollar-wise, I sold a few slabs which meant not as much of a drop off from the spring show for me. However, I will not likely be able to replace them so that means less $$$ next show.

Table retail books and discount bins were ice cold. Some regular big comic spenders were not at the show due to vacations - I texted a few pre-show. One responded from a tour he was on in SE Asia. lol 

On 6/13/2023 at 2:50 PM, Lobo1969 said:

The weather was too nice maybe. Edmonton can afford a collector con when the days are closer to the 0C mark... not on a plus 30C day

It was a decent day, but too much smoke to really enjoy it. 

I also had a couple of dealers that set up mention they are seeing a downturn at the stores they are at as well. Likely summer vacation expenses and higher cost of living is starting to pinch a bit now as well.

The Red & White show organizers sent a note that they had given out 7500+ passes to that show on the 25th in Calgary. I am curious to see how many people show up, but that is a very large number IMHO for a late June show. Hopefully sales are brisk so all of us set up at the show make a nice profit heading into the holiday break.