• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transformers
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I would look up sold prices on eBay to get an idea.

of course grade is a factor 

There are many different Transformers series.  It's not possible to know what they are worth without knowing which series they are from and what condition they are in.

It's important to know that there's a common misconception among non-collectors that things are worth more when there's a complete set.  That's simply not the case.  Collectors don't pay a premium because a set is complete. 

To find what your items are worth, your best bet is to find exact matches by searching through eBay sold listings.  If you find the same item in the same condition, then you have a rough idea of what it sells for.  Ebay can also tell you how much something WON'T sell for.  If you see a copy of something sitting on eBay for a week with a buy it now price of $20 shipped, and nobody has bought it yet, then the buying public has determined that it's not really worth $20.  That doesn't tell you whether it's worth $10 or $5, but it does tell you it's worth less than $20.

I can give you a roundabout idea on FMV, my Son also had/has the complete run and he is selling them so I have a few issues here that I graded and priced using eBay sold auctions.

Issue #1 and issues 70-80 (limited print run) are the only books that are more than $5.00-$15.00 (depending on grade/condition)

He sold issues 1 (NM 9.4), 4 (FN+ 6.5), 8 (FN/VF 7.0) for $75.00 for all three.

The other books I have here that are graded and priced are...

TRANSFORMERS (1984)
2 (NM 9.4) $30.00
3 (VF 8.0) $15.00
71 (VF- 7.5) $20.00
72 (FN/VF 7.0) $20.00
73 (VF/NM 9.0) $20.00
74 (VF- 7.5) $20.00
75 (VF- 7.5) $20.00
76 (VF- 7.5) $20.00
77 (VF/NM 9.0) $25.00
78 (VF 8.0) $25.00
79 (VF/NM 9.0) $35.00