• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MegaCon 2023 - March 30 to April 2 - Orlando, FL
4 4

58 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2023 at 8:32 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

We are on Anna Maria Island. Manatee County. I’ve never been. Saturday looks to be the day — tix for children (6-12) are still available.  Looking forward to going! My only gripe is that he wants to get into costume. This guy is not dressing up. 

Jeeze really? Let him wear what he wants and have fun. A comic show is the perfect place to do it. I took my 2 young grandaughters to WonderCon last week. They love to “dress up”. They had a blast. Just be glad he wants to spend the day with you and let his creative side loose…

I took a look at the comic dealer list. And to think I was grumbling about WonderCon. This show and C2E2 look far worse as far as quality big dealers with vintage comics. I think the days of being able to buy vintage books at big shows are in real trouble.

Hope you all have fun either way! 

On 3/31/2023 at 8:13 PM, Robot Man said:

I took a look at the comic dealer list. And to think I was grumbling about WonderCon. This show and C2E2 look far worse as far as quality big dealers with vintage comics. I think the days of being able to buy vintage books at big shows are in real trouble.

Having C2E2 and megacon on the same weekend is insanity.  I think that is a MUCH bigger factor this year. National dealers were forced to split inventory or pick which one to go to. 

Edited by SkOw

On 3/31/2023 at 5:45 PM, SkOw said:

Having C2E2 and megacon on the same weekend is insanity.  I think that is a MUCH bigger factor this year. National dealers were forced to split inventory or pick which one to go to. 

Indeed. But a lot of the bigger ones aren’t going to either. Except for Harley who’s superpower seems to be in 2 places at once. I can about gurantee he will make an appearance at both. Just think about his frequent flyer points…

Edited by Robot Man

On 3/31/2023 at 8:06 PM, Robot Man said:

Jeeze really? Let him wear what he wants and have fun. A comic show is the perfect place to do it. I took my 2 young grandaughters to WonderCon last week. They love to “dress up”. They had a blast. Just be glad he wants to spend the day with you and let his creative side loose…

Of course! By “this guy” I meant me. He’s pumped and he will be dressed up!

On 3/31/2023 at 7:13 PM, Robot Man said:

On 3/31/2023 at 7:45 PM, SkOw said:

I have been to C2E2 the last two days and you can feel the affects of having MegaCon on the same weekend. Not sure who decided to have 2 big cons at the same time, but hoping this doesn't happen again. Some comic book dealers that have been there in the past did not come this year. The Comic Mint and Black Flag had no presence this year since they are at MegaCon. Normally they are the two to have C2E2 exclusives, this year we only got some exclusives from Comics Elite and Unknown Comics. What they had for C2E2 exclusives this year, were not really that good.

I will say though is that many dealers actually had really good pricing for the most part. I was able to get 2 bigger books and they were at FMV. Then there were some dealers that really had some wonky pricing making me scratch my head as this is not 2021. I was talking to another dealer about that and he couldn't understand why someone would come to the show only to have "wall books" that are overpriced so they can show off they have some really expensive books they aren't willing to sell.

I'm not sure how many comic book dealers there are at MegaCon, but I do feel like there have been somewhat a bit less this year at C2E2 than last year. I sometimes feel even when I go to the local cons that they are engulfed by FunkoPop dealers.

There were a lot of dealers and artists at this show.  There was also a lot of other vendors selling all kinds of stuff,  including a section where people were getting tattoos. 

I asked to see one raw book and the price was way more than I wanted to pay.  Are they overpriced?  In todays world - maybe.  For me the pricing has made the hobby less enjoyable so I would say yes.

I did see quite a few exclusives.  I picked up a couple from a dealer that had mostly Will Jack covers. They even had a C2E2 exclusive from last year.  Ebas and his wife had some exclusives/limited books at their booth but $100 to $200 for a new comic book for me is on the pricey side.  The full nude was an eye opener. 

Luckily, I was able to pick up a couple of sketches which for me made up for the lack of books.  There was a lot of great art for sale.  One guy walked up to the booth I was at and said he only buys commissions with She Hulk or the Hulk on the cover.  He had a list of all the artist he was waiting on including Andy Kubert. 

I agree C2E2 and Megacon should be on different dates as they are huge shows but if I had the choice, I'd pick the one with sunny mild days.  The weather here was beautiful.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, captainzombie said:

I have been to C2E2 the last two days and you can feel the affects of having MegaCon on the same weekend. Not sure who decided to have 2 big cons at the same time, but hoping this doesn't happen again. Some comic book dealers that have been there in the past did not come this year. The Comic Mint and Black Flag had no presence this year since they are at MegaCon. Normally they are the two to have C2E2 exclusives, this year we only got some exclusives from Comics Elite and Unknown Comics. What they had for C2E2 exclusives this year, were not really that good.

I will say though is that many dealers actually had really good pricing for the most part. I was able to get 2 bigger books and they were at FMV. Then there were some dealers that really had some wonky pricing making me scratch my head as this is not 2021. I was talking to another dealer about that and he couldn't understand why someone would come to the show only to have "wall books" that are overpriced so they can show off they have some really expensive books they aren't willing to sell.

I'm not sure how many comic book dealers there are at MegaCon, but I do feel like there have been somewhat a bit less this year at C2E2 than last year. I sometimes feel even when I go to the local cons that they are engulfed by FunkoPop dealers.

Just looking at vintage comic book dealing.

I looked at the dealer list for both cons. I figured they would be split for the bigger Midwest and south Eastern dealers. But many of the bigger dealers were at neither. Same thing with WonderCon and Big Apple last week.

I think the expense of travel and pricey booths for multiple day shows just doesn’t justify it for them. At 2021 prices, they can’t even afford to restock sold material.

Most appear to be taking the “wait and see” approach or are doing one day comic centric shows in their own area. Makes sense to me.

Still a bummer for us eager buyers. It is getting harder and harder for us that collect scarcer books to add to our collections unless we are willing to pay through the nose on eBay or the big auction houses. I used to come home with a lot more great stuff from shows. 

On 4/3/2023 at 5:04 AM, HighRadArt said:

Bill Morrison working on Bart for the sketchbook.

20230331_161805.thumb.jpg.364e4c2c5ed587cd153b7a7d95409071.jpg20230331_162544.thumb.jpg.b388d3d27494e4d620a450133e70ed3f.jpg

Bill is a cool guy. Have seen him at a lot of shows. Very friendly guy.

MANY years ago, I got into SDCC very early. Was walking around and saw Matt Groening in the Bongo booth all by himself. Struck up a conversation and told him how much my daughter and I watched the Simpsons together and loved it. While we were talking, he grabbed a sketch pad and starting drawing the whole cast quickly with a ball point pen. Was amazed how fast and well he could do it. When he got done he asked my daughter’s name, and signed it. He just handed it to me and told me to give it to her. No charge. Annother great guy. Would never happen now.

Yes, she still has it framed in her den. 

On 3/31/2023 at 8:51 PM, Robot Man said:

Indeed. But a lot of the bigger ones aren’t going to either. Except for Harley who’s superpower seems to be in 2 places at once. I can about gurantee he will make an appearance at both. Just think about his frequent flyer points…

I'm sorry that I am not a "Big dealer" to you.  I was at C2E2