• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest Comic Series of All-Time
3 3

70 posts in this topic

Now that Mad’s been posted, it’s only fair to mention a British publication which has been even more consistently hilarious, the brilliant Viz Comic.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Love and Rockets. 40 years of some of the best comics ever made. The longevity and quality over that time is staggering.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:42 PM, F For Fake said:

Love and Rockets. 40 years of some of the best comics ever made. The longevity and quality over that time is staggering.

Yup.

Another one I'd thought about - a classic indie, but not one I'd suspect many would choose when up against ASM, FF or X-Men.

Which is a shame. I agree with you. Fantastic series.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The Unpopular Vote. 

Based on your criteria, none. None of them. 

Stories should have character arcs, development, growth, and most importantly, a beginning, middle, and an end. 

Most comic books, especially within your scope, focus mainly on some character development, including flaws, with ongoing problems and hurdles, which rinse and repeat. They are a business model to keep printing more books and make more money.

I can’t think of any comic run, that was a clear, concise story structure, with cohesive narrative, that continued for 100 full issues. 

The only book that seems to, so far, be following that expectation, is Saga. 
Saga is at issue 61.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:53 AM, Grendel72 said:

Serious question,  what's so special.about Four color ? Thot it was an anthology series. Is it because many first appearances were from these books. For me it would be FF or ASM for its impact on comicdom in terms of characterisation and story telling.  That's for American comics. Personally for me, lone wolf and cub ranks among the greatest comic books ever done. 

I was somewhat basing it on the other anthologies in the original list.  There is an enormous number of first appearances in the run, and it really is a cross section of popular culture over more than two decades.

With that said, I'm far from certain it would be my choice, either.  But I think one of the underlying ideas here is do you go with an anthology that hits multiple targets so least a little, or a single feature book that showed what a long running feature could do.  And Four Color has to be one of the anthology books you consider on that side of the discussion.

I disagree with the criteria of 100 issues/10 years. Almost none of the books listed above have the same creative team or ever writer over that period. Better off to think about specific runs or series with more consistency, e.g. creator-owned books with a definitive ending. 

If you want to stick with 100 issues/1 decade, I can think of only a few:
Cerebus (can we just pretend issues 200-300 didn't happen?)
Nexus
100 Bullets
Grendel

Edited by SuperBird

Some great responses. However, with some of them do ignore the last criteria of Cultural Impact. Books like Transmetropolitan, Grendel, Cerebus, 100 Bullets, Preacher, are great books but lack any significant Cultural Impact. They definitely contribute to the historical aspect of comics and influence but for the general public wouldn't ring any bells.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:37 PM, Krydel4 said:

Some great responses. However, with some of them do ignore the last criteria of Cultural Impact. 

Question- the 5 books you initially listed: 

Adventure Comics
More Fun Comics
The Brave and the Bold
Showcase
Shonen Jump

I'm not familiar with Shonen Jump, but the others I am, and honestly couldn't put a finger on what cultural impact they have had. More Fun had 1st appearances of a few DC characters who have not had much exposure outside of comics, and Showcase has SA Flash, but I'm stumped on Adventure and B&B...

I could see putting Action, 'Tec, ASM and FF on the list before the ones above. Just curious as the the thinking. 

Edited by SuperBird

On 2/15/2023 at 9:45 AM, SuperBird said:

Question- the 5 books you initially listed: 

Adventure Comics
More Fun Comics
The Brave and the Bold
Showcase
Shonen Jump

I'm not familiar with Shonen Jump, but the others I am, and honestly couldn't put a finger on what cultural impact they have had. More Fun had 1st appearances of a few DC characters who have not had much exposure outside of comics, and Showcase has SA Flash, but I'm stumped on Adventure and B&B...

I could see putting Action, 'Tec, ASM and FF on the list before the ones above. Just curious as the the thinking. 

MFC also had Aquaman, whose 2nd movie is coming out. Showcase had Green Lantern, Hawk and Dove, Creeper, etc. Adventure Comics has LOSH, General Zod, Superboy etc. B&B had the Justice League, Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, then became a Batman team book. When you dig into them there is a lot to unpack not to mention they lasted for more than 30+ years and were cross generational and adapted there subject matter to the times. Shonen Jump had DragonBall, One-Piece, Bleach, Naruto on and on. It's easier to name singular characters that didn't debut in it.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:27 AM, D2 said:

The Unpopular Vote. 

Based on your criteria, none. None of them. 

Stories should have character arcs, development, growth, and most importantly, a beginning, middle, and an end. 

Most comic books, especially within your scope, focus mainly on some character development, including flaws, with ongoing problems and hurdles, which rinse and repeat. They are a business model to keep printing more books and make more money.

I can’t think of any comic run, that was a clear, concise story structure, with cohesive narrative, that continued for 100 full issues. 

The only book that seems to, so far, be following that expectation, is Saga. 
Saga is at issue 61.

Bone fits your criteria above except for the 100 issues. Ran for 13 years though.

On 2/15/2023 at 10:42 AM, Doomed said:

The Preacher tv show ran for 4 seasons on AMC (shrug)

It did. But if you asked anyone whose not a Comics fan who Jesse Custer is you would get a lot of blank stares. You would have a lot better luck asking them if the knew who Rick Grimes was. 

On 2/15/2023 at 1:35 PM, docgo said:

Bone fits your criteria above except for the 100 issues. Ran for 13 years though.

I did not know that. Huh. 
I will give this more consideration. I just assumed because it was targeted at a younger audience that it had a more, episodic format. 
thanks for bringing it to my attention!

My list, just focusing on cultural impact

Action Comics/Superman - the first superhero, and still one of the most popular
Detective Comics/Batman - he's Batman!
ASM - the most popular super hero
Avengers - the most popular/famous/successful group of heroes
Watchmen - changed the nature of comic storytelling
Dark Knight Returns - see above
TMNT - massively popular for 40ish years now
Sandman - launched the Vertigo line and all that came with it
Bone - read by every kid growing up in school these day

On 2/15/2023 at 1:04 PM, D2 said:

I did not know that. Huh. 
I will give this more consideration. I just assumed because it was targeted at a younger audience that it had a more, episodic format. 
thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Currently, it’s definitely targeted to a younger audience after being colorized and distributed to elementary/middle school libraries across the country, but I think the black and white comics from 1991 to 2004 found more of a teenage audience since the individual issues were only sold through comic shops. Give it a shot if you have the time!

So to the posters. Does the first criteria need to be separated into 2 parts and choose from there:

Ongoing series ( AC, DC, ASM, FF etc.)

Limited or Mini Series ( DKR, Watchmen, Preacher, Sandman) that were conceived and executed with a beginning, middle and end.

Thoughts?