• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1963) Butting Heads, Unexpected Success and Not Expected Failures!
3 3

1,209 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2023 at 4:04 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

You can say countless times that Lee would have sent the Kirby spiderman story to print if Ditko hadn't told him it reminded him of the fly, but that doesn't make it true.  You're still putting thoughts into Lee's head that contradict not only what Lee has said but also what everybody else involved, including Ditko and Kirby, have said.   And it requires concluding that Stan Lee would have cared that it was reminiscent of the Fly, even as you might say, in the same breath, that he shamelessly ripped off other publishers.  Nobody has ever been quoted saying that Stan Lee liked what Kirby did, and all have agreed that his disapproval was the first step toward making it something different.   The tenor of this argument being waged here remains fascinating in the way that some people try so hard to come off sounding like they're coming at it with no agenda, and don't realize their vitriol is glaringly obvious even before they lapse, as they often do, into name-calling.  And every argument stems from one guy is God and the other is the Devil.  Does the original idea of one guy mean everything regardless of how much another guy changed it?  If you're talking about Kirby being the guy with the idea (silver surfer) then yes.  Even though he was drawn as one of several minions and, in the original pages, a quickly dispatched one,  the fact that Lee turned him into something else is seen as without any consideration whatsoever, and the surfer is deemed "100%" Kirby.  But if the original idea is something Stan Lee said, and Ditko did a lot to make it better, than the original idea to be disregarded completely.  Even if Ditko had originally placed a huge emphasis on the costume in his claims of creation and it was later revealed that there were halloween costumes on sale years before which, if you cut and reassembled the various versions, you could "create" one that was virtually identical to Ditko's.  When talking about how Stan Lee would collaborate on stories, some of the guys who downplayed, or disregarded completely, his contribution, are the same guys who mocked the way he would assume voices for characters and jump on tables enacting fight scenes.  Like so many things, as the rabbi said in "Fiddler", they can't both be true.  But people want to operate from some perceived larger truth -- that the guy they like is a God and the guy that don't like is the Devil, so all facts that support those conclusions are accepted, even when they contradict each other.

The fact is that in comics, and in every form of entertainment, everybody steals from what has come before and when people collaborate they often don't realize how much their own thoughts were sparked or changed by things other people said. Ultimately, the team becomes a thing in itself, and in some cases it becomes greater than the sum of its parts. 

Not sure what your point is here. It's already been said and agreed that the comics industry is and always was rife with the 'borrowing' of ideas. Spider-Man is a glaring example of that. He even worked for a newspaper getting leads for his adventures as Superman did, with a grouchy editor to deal with. I'm sure the blue and red of his costume was no coincidence either. :manhero::smirk:

On 7/14/2023 at 7:57 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Not sure what your point is here. It's already been said and agreed that the comics industry is and always was rife with the 'borrowing' of ideas. Spider-Man is a glaring example of that. He even worked for a newspaper getting leads for his adventures as Superman did, with a grouchy editor to deal with. I'm sure the blue and red of his costume was no coincidence either. :manhero::smirk:

There were MANY "spider man" characters in comics before Peter Parker.  Several in 1954 by multiple publishers including Marvel, IIRC.  The earliest I ever saw was in a comic by Centaur -- later Timely and then Marvel -- in 1938.  I remember those dates because they parallel the intro of Superman and the Ben Cooper costume, an example of which I came across many years ago, prompting a "huh".   The 1938 character was a gangster who wore a suit with a web pattern and his name was spelled with a hyphen, which might explain the hyphen (which was added after it was written and drawn) as a directive from legal.  

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 7/16/2023 at 3:18 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

There were MANY "spider man" characters in comics before Peter Parker.  Several in 1954 by multiple publishers including Marvel, IIRC.  The earliest I ever saw was in a comic by Centaur -- later Timely and then Marvel -- in 1938.  I remember those dates because they parallel the intro of Superman and the Ben Cooper costume, an example of which I came across many years ago, prompting a "huh".   The 1938 character was a gangster who wore a suit with a web pattern and his name was spelled with a hyphen, which might explain the hyphen (which was added after it was written and drawn) as a directive from legal.  

There was also Spider Queen from 1941, who actually had web-shooting devices on her wrists so she could "put a damper on gay fellows".

Spider-Queen-Webbing.jpg.cbde703aeaf9dc394bfae812de4eee86.jpg

Edited by Steven Valdez
typo

On 7/14/2023 at 7:57 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Saying that people embrace conflicting arguments when they wanna make one guy into a hero and the other into a heel.  The color of Spider-man's costume provides an interesting example.  Steve Ditko never said he had the original idea for Spidey, and that he originally wanted the costume to be orange (or something like that).  None of which causes his fans to think any less of him.  Contrast that with Bob Kane, who apparently did come up with the original idea and was the original artist, but he admitted he had originally meant Batman's costume to be red, which is jumped all over on by his detractors as proof he was a no-talent d#ck, a thief and did little -- no, make that nothing! --to make Batman what he became.  Hard simple facts are often ignored by some people in their choice of whom to defend or demonize.  They work entirely backward from some "greater truth" that, for example, Bob Kane was a d#ck (which he apparently was), and readily ignore the facts that do anything but demonize him.  Same with Ditko.  If the people who worship him did not, and instead thought he was a d#ck, then they would jump on revelations about the Ben Cooper costume, this Spider Queen mechanical web device, or even the fact that Ditko meant for the costume to be another color.  All those things would be cited as proof Ditko was not a God but the Devil.     

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 7/18/2023 at 8:28 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Saying that people embrace conflicting arguments when they wanna make one guy into a hero and the other into a heel.  The color of Spider-man's costume provides an interesting example.  Steve Ditko never said he had the original idea for Spidey, and that he originally wanted the costume to be orange (or something like that).  None of which causes his fans to think any less of him.  Contrast that with Bob Kane, who apparently did come up with the original idea and was the original artist, but he admitted he had originally meant Batman's costume to be red, which is taken by some as proof that he did virtually nothing to make Batman what he became.  Hard simple facts are often ignored by some people in their choice of whom to defend or demonize.  They work entirely backward from some "greater truth" that, for example, Bob Kane was a d#ck (which he apparently was), and readily ignore the facts that do anything but demonize him.  Same with Ditko.  If the people who worship him did not, and instead thought he was a d#ck, then they would jump on revelations about the Ben Cooper costume, this Spider Queen mechanical web device, or even the fact that Ditko meant for the costume to be another color.  All those things would be cited as proof Ditko was not a God but the Devil.     

Nobody's dissing Ditko, the man was a one in a million genius.

On 7/15/2023 at 8:11 PM, Steven Valdez said:

There was also Spider Queen from 1941, who actually had web-shooting devices on her wrists so she could "put a damper on gay fellows".

Spider-Queen-Webbing.jpg.cbde703aeaf9dc394bfae812de4eee86.jpg

do we know how many times  she appeared in the GA.

I was at SDCC and had talk with the Jack Kirby collector publisher. I made him aware of this thread and hopefully he will add to its content. In a nutshell I great the impression it would be 90% Setve and Jack and 10% Stan. He did an article which from 1963 on took Stans's statements about creator input and how they changed over time, especially going into the 80's. Interesting that he has come to the same conclusions as we have...

On 7/22/2023 at 6:21 AM, Mmehdy said:

I was at SDCC and had talk with the Jack Kirby collector publisher. I made him aware of this thread and hopefully he will add to its content. In a nutshell I great the impression it would be 90% Setve and Jack and 10% Stan. He did an article which from 1963 on took Stans's statements about creator input and how they changed over time, especially going into the 80's. Interesting that he has come to the same conclusions as we have...

Yes, John Morrow and co have done some amazing research on the true origins of Marvel Comics. Would be great if he/they make some comments here.

I find it amazing that between 1961 to 1990 no one in comics fandom interviewed Martin Goodman the publisher of Marvel Comics. It would have been so interesting to hear his thoughts on what Kirby, Ditko, and Lee were doing in the 1960s.

I would have thought Gary Groth of the Comics Journal or someone of that ilk would have sought out Martin Goodman for an interview back then. 

Very mysterious why there is not much information on Martin Goodman.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:38 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I find it amazing that between 1961 to 1990 no one in comics fandom interviewed Martin Goodman the publisher of Marvel Comics. It would have been so interesting to hear his thoughts on what Kirby, Ditko, and Lee were doing in the 1960s.

I would have thought Gary Groth of the Comics Journal or someone of that ilk would have sought out Martin Goodman for an interview back then. 

Very mysterious why there is not much information on Martin Goodman.

It really is. Though from the sound of it, he may've went out of his way to NOT be interviewed...

PN outstanding post above. The wild card has always been Goodman. Probably like  all of us we sometimes regret what we sell  using hindsight. Goodman probably should marvel for pennies on the dollar. So why revisit something painful........something worth many millions of dollars. Just a guess PN