• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance Marvelman for $75,000

4 posts in this topic

Well, that escalated quickly. The seller makes some slight misstatements in the description, but seems to be operating out of a lack of info rather than intent to deceive and I'm in discussion with them.

Marvelman Family #1 -- $15,000

Edited by JTLarsen
First title was misleading, it's not about keys, it's about the value.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:40 AM, JTLarsen said:

Well, that escalated quickly. The seller makes some slight misstatements in the description, but seems to be operating out of a lack of info rather than intent to deceive and I'm in discussion with them.

Marvelman Family #1 -- $15,000

And then there's Marvelman #25, the first appearance of Marvelman.

The exact number in existence is disputed but I don't think anyone believes there to be more than ten known to be in existence. The same seller has it up for $75,000 OBO. I'm also in discussion with him about some of the info in his description, and regardless of whether you think the price is justified or not, he makes a good case (I'm admittedly biased) for the future potential and importance of this character within Marvel.

I've had a Marvelman search on ebay for well over a decade and I've only seen this issue auctioned one other time, more than ten years ago, IIRC. Fellow boardie Ewan, I believe, made a private sale of one last year. Those are the only other two I believe are known to have come to market in probably 20 years, if not more.

Marvelman #25 -- $75,000

I'll be surprised if the seller gets this price, in this market. But then, crypto bros and hedge-fund bros have surprised me before. So, we'll see!

On 2/16/2023 at 7:47 AM, JTLarsen said:

And then there's Marvelman #25, the first appearance of Marvelman.

The exact number in existence is disputed but I don't think anyone believes there to be more than ten known to be in existence. The same seller has it up for $75,000 OBO. I'm also in discussion with him about some of the info in his description, and regardless of whether you think the price is justified or not, he makes a good case (I'm admittedly biased) for the future potential and importance of this character within Marvel.

I've had a Marvelman search on ebay for well over a decade and I've only seen this issue auctioned one other time, more than ten years ago, IIRC. Fellow boardie Ewan, I believe, made a private sale of one last year. Those are the only other two I believe are known to have come to market in probably 20 years, if not more.

Marvelman #25 -- $75,000

I'll be surprised if the seller gets this price, in this market. But then, crypto bros and hedge-fund bros have surprised me before. So, we'll see!

I just realized I don't know whether this Marvelman #25 is the same one that was sold last year. Maybe Ewan knows. I went back and checked and the only sale I'm aware of prior to last year's was in August 2010.