• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic conventions still good for finding a wide variety of GA?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I'm new to collecting Golden Age and have never been to a convention. Figured the first one I'd go to would be NYCC, as I take trips to NYC often. What can I expect to find GA-wise? Are the GA books that vendors bring to these cons skewed towards the mega-valuable ones? Do many vendors still bring GA to market at these cons?

Heck yeah a good place to find all kinds of comics including GA. Some shows are of course better than others. But there is almost that "one guy" with some GA books. You might be pretty limited if you are only looking for very specific books.

I am primarily a collector but I do set up at a few shows every year. Mostly GA and SA since that is my focus. I always have a small wall rack with some interesting books. Not always, Keys, Classic covers or "pretty stuff" but enough to get a lot of questions. I keep most of what I really like but often have under copies or books I have run into that I can live without. I am always telling people to "look in the boxes, that is where this stuff came from". I sell everything from superhero to PCH, Crime and other popular genres. As well as Pulps, Western, Funny Animal and Humor. Anybody who says this stuff doesn't sell is wrong. If priced right, almost everything sells. 

As a collector, I usually hit the room and check out my favorite dealers. I scan the walls and dig into all the boxes marked GA. All of them. often, there is a surprise or two mixed in. I look for people's mistakes. Believe it or not, even the big dealers make them. I might find something on the wall but I probably get more by digging. I also look for the smaller guys who maybe don't do a lot of shows. If they have even a couple of older books on their walls, I ask. Many times, this has produced a box from under the table that isn't out. It also helps that I am pretty open to genre and grades. Always, have a smile and be friendly.

Cons are my favorite place to buy books. There is usually a good selection. And you can hold it in your hand to ward off "surprises". I bring cash and often get a better deal. You know what you are buying and what you have to pay. If it is overgraded or over priced I just hand it back and say thanks. No point infighting a losing battle, just move on. 

Happy hunting!

On 2/17/2023 at 5:23 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Well, that DOES depend on several factors, mostly where you are and what you're looking for. I'm in the midwest and I'll give you an example by showing you what I picked up at the last show I went to in town. This was a tiny show in a strip mall with only local dealers in attendance, maybe 10 of them had any vintage material. Most collectors would've likely figured a little Podunk show like that wouldn't yield anything and it wouldn't be worth going to. Well, the books pictured below was my Golden Age haul that day. Yeah, I'm a Timely guy!  lol Anyway, the take home point is that there are plenty of dealers bringing good books to every level comic show around.

Annie Oakley 3.jpg

Lana 1.jpg

Millie the Model 5.jpg

Patsy Walker 19.jpg

Weird Fantasy 17 3.5R ow-w.jpg

Weird Science 13.jpg

That's a great haul. I am now considering that cons might be great avenues to find the books I want. The problem will be showing up with the cash to buy em. The curse of preferring Timelys, Nedors, DC, and iconic PCH!

On 2/17/2023 at 8:17 PM, Robot Man said:

Heck yeah a good place to find all kinds of comics including GA. Some shows are of course better than others. But there is almost that "one guy" with some GA books. You might be pretty limited if you are only looking for very specific books.

I am primarily a collector but I do set up at a few shows every year. Mostly GA and SA since that is my focus. I always have a small wall rack with some interesting books. Not always, Keys, Classic covers or "pretty stuff" but enough to get a lot of questions. I keep most of what I really like but often have under copies or books I have run into that I can live without. I am always telling people to "look in the boxes, that is where this stuff came from". I sell everything from superhero to PCH, Crime and other popular genres. As well as Pulps, Western, Funny Animal and Humor. Anybody who says this stuff doesn't sell is wrong. If priced right, almost everything sells. 

As a collector, I usually hit the room and check out my favorite dealers. I scan the walls and dig into all the boxes marked GA. All of them. often, there is a surprise or two mixed in. I look for people's mistakes. Believe it or not, even the big dealers make them. I might find something on the wall but I probably get more by digging. I also look for the smaller guys who maybe don't do a lot of shows. If they have even a couple of older books on their walls, I ask. Many times, this has produced a box from under the table that isn't out. It also helps that I am pretty open to genre and grades. Always, have a smile and be friendly.

Cons are my favorite place to buy books. There is usually a good selection. And you can hold it in your hand to ward off "surprises". I bring cash and often get a better deal. You know what you are buying and what you have to pay. If it is overgraded or over priced I just hand it back and say thanks. No point infighting a losing battle, just move on. 

Happy hunting!

Thank you for your input. Do you often go into events with specific books in mind to buy? Do you just hope to discover new books by diving into boxes? Do you enter with a fixed budget in mind?

On 2/17/2023 at 11:43 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Thank you for your input. Do you often go into events with specific books in mind to buy? Do you just hope to discover new books by diving into boxes? Do you enter with a fixed budget in mind?

I always go with a fixed budget, but try not to go with a specific book in mind. 

On 2/17/2023 at 11:31 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Consider this one.  It's close and affordable.  I went a year ago and there was a good, broad selection of GA books.

summit - 1.jpg

Summit - 2.jpg

Summit - 4.jpg

Convention photos get my juices flowing✔️👍🥓

On 2/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I go with a general idea as to what I want. The stuff I want is usually pretty hard to find so I browse and impulse buy a bit. I just bring as much cash as possible and see what turns up. I always come home with money though. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:41 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

That's a great haul. I am now considering that cons might be great avenues to find the books I want. The problem will be showing up with the cash to buy em. The curse of preferring Timelys, Nedors, DC, and iconic PCH!

A lot of us share the same curse. Just pick whatever strikes your fancy that day and that you can afford. 

On 2/17/2023 at 10:41 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Thanks! Yeah, cash is king at shows, but many dealers take electronic payments now, so it's a mixed bag. I've always found cash in hand to be the best situation for making my best deals. Perhaps my favorite part of a show is that I never know what I might find!!! Ya never know what a box holds till you take the lid off (unless of course it's labeled!!)!!! lol

On 2/17/2023 at 8:43 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Do you often go into events with specific books in mind to buy? Do you just hope to discover new books by diving into boxes? Do you enter with a fixed budget in mind?

Given the vast number of GA titles and issues, and their relative scarcity now, it's best to simply see what you can find, and at a price that's comfortable for you.  Waving a couple of 20's or C-Notes to a dealer will definitely get his undivided attention, and often willingness to bargain.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:02 PM, fifties said:

Given the vast number of GA titles and issues, and their relative scarcity now, it's best to simply see what you can find, and at a price that's comfortable for you.  Waving a couple of 20's or C-Notes to a dealer will definitely get his undivided attention, and often willingness to bargain.

Instructions unclear, offered a couple 20's for a Marvel Mystery Comic and got told to scram!

On 2/20/2023 at 8:55 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Instructions unclear, offered a couple 20's for a Marvel Mystery Comic and got told to scram!

Next time wave those double sawbucks for a Bugs Bunny and I'm sure you'll be treated like royalty!  :wink: