• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima Pedigree and full story of its origin?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So i purchased this detective comics #85 from a local seller who was completely unfamiliar with the Okajima Pedigree( true story lol), this was brought in by someone who found it in the wild. DC75348B-6CE6-4994-95FE-3B5BADD9CDCD.thumb.png.412d0568794e9d7504de889d84964a9a.png I wonder how CGC missed this and how i would have to resubmit it in order for me to get the pedigree label? 

Also is there more to the pedigree story then the brief context on the CGC site? 
 :popcorn:

Edited by JQ Comics
Edit typing

I would contact cgc customer service directly and ask about the process and requirements to get the pedigree.  

On 2/17/2023 at 10:18 PM, JQ Comics said:

I wonder how CGC missed this.

The CGC grading staff generally will not assign a specific pedigree to a book that has not been identified as such by the submitter.  They may have in the very early days of the company, but not now.  Over the years, I've personally seen more than a dozen slabbed examples of "lost" (undesignated) pedigrees, including specimens from the Northford, River City, Salida, and White Mountain collections.  It's always a rush.

(Would I) have to resubmit it in order to get the pedigree label?

Yes.  If you want to have your book properly labeled, you'll need to formally resubmit it.  Be certain to identify it as an Okajima copy on the submission form.  The submission procedure/cost will be the same as it would be for any comparable book that's never been slabbed (see Services & Fees).

Also is there more to the pedigree story

On 2/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Also interested in learning more of this story.

Yes.  Bette Okajima's story is absolutely amazing!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  (worship)  Here are links to what I consider to be the most comprehensive Board thread and best non-Board article.  Enjoy!  :foryou:

On 2/18/2023 at 1:15 AM, zzutak said:

The CGC grading staff generally will not assign a specific pedigree to a book that has not been identified as such by the submitter.  They may have in the very early days of the company, but not now.  Over the years, I've personally seen more than a dozen slabbed examples of "lost" (undesignated) pedigrees, including specimens from the Northford, River City, Salida, and White Mountain collections.  It's always a rush.

Yes.  If you want to have your book properly labeled, you'll need to formally resubmit it.  Be certain to identify it as an Okajima copy on the submission form.  The submission procedure/cost will be the same as it would be for any comparable book that's never been slabbed (see Services & Fees).

Yes.  Bette Okajima's story is absolutely amazing!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  (worship)  Here are links to what I consider to be the most comprehensive Board thread and best non-Board article.  Enjoy!  :foryou:

Thank you for all the help sir!! And will look forward to read more on the Okajima Pedigree. :cheers:

On 2/18/2023 at 4:15 AM, zzutak said:

Thank you for sharing this. 

I knew much of the history from the boards, but it was nice to read a more comprehensive article. Such an incredible history! And amazing that Bette lived to the age of 99, passing only last year!