• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Planet Comics 55
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Greetings all-
I'm at a loss when it comes to grading Golden Age books. I have an idea but want to get some outside opinions.
Most issues are apparent but:
- Spot on spine at upper staple. I think it's staining as the interior of the staples are pretty clean.
- Spine split that tears across the back cover.

Thanks in advance for the help.
295378556_PlanetComics55Front.thumb.jpg.9052ed8dd93d7a792b4be8e2aea2f242.jpg

1870077334_PlanetComics55Back.thumb.jpg.b767c7290a9554e52d62385351e501bb.jpg

441386977_PlanetComics55Center.thumb.jpg.7377acdf7065d963b5bc8ca7cc679a7d.jpg

Relooking at the book I thought there is probably some color fading going on. Checking ebay it would seem I'm right but it's not going to factor much into the grade of this book IMO. Probably more of a 4.0.

Screenshot_20230218_190607_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230218_190545_eBay.jpg

The first thing that jumps out at me is the discoloration along the left and right edges of the front cover.  When I see an anomaly like this, I always ask myself why.  Are these simple oxidation shadows, or are they evidence of something more serious, like staining due to old tape on the inside cover?

I have a similar reaction when I see rust stains on the cover stock surrounding a staple, but no rust on that staple.  Is this because the staple was replaced, or is there a less nefarious explanation?  I'm not suggesting this is the case with your book, only that "critical thinking" and "due diligence" are essential -- just like Sharon's suggestion to always count pages.  (thumbsu  :foryou:

It looks like the bottom of the spine has broken off along with that small piece missing at the bottom of the open edge, leaving me wondering if at least "slightly brittle pages" will be part of the grade. It's hard to figure out the right open edge (front) as well. I can't tell if it's mold or as ZZutak mentioned, possible tape stains. 

Would you have a picture of the inside front cover?

On 2/19/2023 at 10:10 AM, skypinkblu said:

It looks like the bottom of the spine has broken off along with that small piece missing at the bottom of the open edge, leaving me wondering if at least "slightly brittle pages" will be part of the grade. It's hard to figure out the right open edge (front) as well. I can't tell if it's mold or as ZZutak mentioned, possible tape stains. 

Would you have a picture of the inside front cover?

Interior cover photo attached.
Also noticed the small piece of tape on the lower corner of the inside cover.
Simply amazed that the cover is still holding on as it seems to defy physics based on the photo.
Pages are still very supple.

1719066532_PlanetComics55Interior.thumb.jpg.64192235c807a624fe37689401b8a173.jpg