• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller – funny story and looking for input
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I'm considering submitting Wolverine (limited series) No. 1 for the Frank Miller SigSeries event. I'm looking for input on this being a good idea vs. bad idea. Here's the backstory: 

Way back in 1992, a much younger version of me put said Wolverine #1 in front of Mr. Miller at the San Diego Comic Con. Frank opened it up and started to sign on page one, below the indicia. I don't know if it was his pen or his mood at the time (he was bashing on the Image guys to Chris Claremont, seated next to him), but the paper tears as he starts. He looks up at me. Chris Claremont looks at me, with a sympathetic face. Frank looks at Chris. Frank looks down, finishes the sig, and slides it back to me. He doesn't say a word. I wouldn't really understand what happened until a few minutes later, when I looked at the book. But I was a little kid. I was crushed, but I had no idea what to do about it. So I just lived with it. 

Fast forward to 2023 ... I figure why not submit that book to CGC and get Frank's sig on the cover? Will CGC give me a blue label because of the writing inside? Or a yellow label, with a note? The rest of the book is in pretty good shape, so I figure why not get it signed right and graded and slabbed ... and I'll always know the story about the inside. Even if it hurts the grade, that won't bother me. 

Anyway -- good idea? bad idea? Any input would be much appreciated. 

I have two books signed on the inside first page by Jim Shooter (DD 158 and 168). I submitted them at the same time for through signature series for sigs by Frank Miller. On one of them I didn’t say anything on the submission form, on the other I wrote that the book was signed on the first page. Neither book was qualified, both got straight yellow labels. For the one where I said something on the form, they put “‘Shooter’ written on p. 1”. For the other they didn’t do anything. You’ll get a yellow label for that. And I’ve kept my books even though they’re not the best (8.0 and 9.0) because they were mine when I was 12 yo. So I say get them signed and enjoy them.

On 2/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, John Rockhold said:

I'm considering submitting Wolverine (limited series) No. 1 for the Frank Miller SigSeries event. I'm looking for input on this being a good idea vs. bad idea. Here's the backstory: 

Way back in 1992, a much younger version of me put said Wolverine #1 in front of Mr. Miller at the San Diego Comic Con. Frank opened it up and started to sign on page one, below the indicia. I don't know if it was his pen or his mood at the time (he was bashing on the Image guys to Chris Claremont, seated next to him), but the paper tears as he starts. He looks up at me. Chris Claremont looks at me, with a sympathetic face. Frank looks at Chris. Frank looks down, finishes the sig, and slides it back to me. He doesn't say a word. I wouldn't really understand what happened until a few minutes later, when I looked at the book. But I was a little kid. I was crushed, but I had no idea what to do about it. So I just lived with it. 

Fast forward to 2023 ... I figure why not submit that book to CGC and get Frank's sig on the cover? Will CGC give me a blue label because of the writing inside? Or a yellow label, with a note? The rest of the book is in pretty good shape, so I figure why not get it signed right and graded and slabbed ... and I'll always know the story about the inside. Even if it hurts the grade, that won't bother me. 

Anyway -- good idea? bad idea? Any input would be much appreciated. 

Worst case you get a yellow green.

Example:

Screenshot_20230301_125136_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7378fcbc26a24868b6cb0c8b7d5102f8.jpg

Note this one is signed by Todd McFarlane, but was part of a Dynamic Forces signature series for Frank Miller.

That white paper behind it is the COA from Dynamic Forces.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:54 AM, ShaggyB said:

Worst case you get a yellow green.

Example:

Screenshot_20230301_125136_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7378fcbc26a24868b6cb0c8b7d5102f8.jpg

Note this one is signed by Todd McFarlane, but was part of a Dynamic Forces signature series for Frank Miller.

That white paper behind it is the COA from Dynamic Forces.

He won’t get a qualified grade for a signature inside the book. It would only be qualified if it’s submitted with a signature already on the cover.