• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference in value (percentagewise) based on grade?
3 3

30 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2023 at 8:00 PM, KCOComics said:

Tell us the book and grade (pictures if raw) and some folks can give you a sense of how they would value it. 

It was more of a general question with an example but obviously too many variables obviously.   There's only 1 so I'll come back.to this thread if I run into a wall.  I appreciate all advice.  But as I said above it's cgc 8.0

Edited by EMazman

On 2/21/2023 at 5:38 PM, EMazman said:

At this point I'm spitballing it around 75-85.  Also not sure why this is the grading issue thread. 

Well, what I am not sure about is why in the world are you over stressing yourself so much over a book that you yourself figures is worth only $75-$85?  :ohnoez:

On 2/22/2023 at 12:22 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, what I am not sure about is why in the world are you over stressing yourself so much over a book that you yourself figures is worth only $75-$85?  :ohnoez:

Asking a question is being over stressed?  Got it. 

On 2/22/2023 at 7:27 AM, lou_fine said:

No, generally not, but from reading your 10+ posts on it without even giving us the actual name of the book itself suggest you just might be. (shrug)

Cause I asked a general question if there was a rule of thumb on variations of grade by percentagte... if there were no comparable sales.  I used an example.  Wasn't offering the name of the book because there's only 1. And I wasn't asking the value of a specific book.  It's not ten posts.  It's responses to others.  I already found it it's more complicated than I thought thanks for all your insight and help afterwards.  

Edited by EMazman

Value to me is what you are willing to pay to obtain the item.   Personally I collect, don’t sell. I have my graded collection, and raw. choose my own value as what the graded item is worth to add to my black hole.

A modern 8.0 I’d probably stay away from in high dollar, as can find raw copies in grade or better. Don’t know what you’re planning on purchasing so.. Just my 2c 
- Each collector is different as their collection focuses. Buy what makes you happy 👍

On 2/22/2023 at 3:24 PM, nepatkm said:

Value to me is what you are willing to pay to obtain the item.   Personally I collect, don’t sell. I have my graded collection, and raw. choose my own value as what the graded item is worth to add to my black hole.

A modern 8.0 I’d probably stay away from in high dollar, as can find raw copies in grade or better. Don’t know what you’re planning on purchasing so.. Just my 2c 
- Each collector is different as their collection focuses. Buy what makes you happy 👍

Yeah this is a tough one.  You might have missed the earlier post but it is Bronze age, there's 4 books on the census at 9.8, 9.6,9.6, and 8.0 that's it.  I'm considering that 8. There are no raws that are 8.0 or higher from what I can tell.  One is sorta close but I'm not gonna take that risk.  SO this situation got me thinking if there's was a percentage difference rule of thumb to go by if there are zero comparable sales.  For example would an 8.0 be worth 50% of what a 9.6 is or less...if there are no sales to go by.  I wasn't really asking for what a specific book was. I just mentioned mine as an example and apparently have confused everyone. lol I've run into this situation before and I always wondered.   From what I've gathered from all the responses...there is none.  

Edited by EMazman

On 2/22/2023 at 6:36 PM, EMazman said:

Yeah this is a tough one.  You might have missed the earlier post but it is Bronze age, there's 4 books on the census at 9.8, 9.6,9.6, and 8.0 that's it.  I'm considering that 8. There are no raws that are 8.0 or higher from what I can tell.  One is sorta close but I'm not gonna take that risk.  SO this situation got me thinking if there's was a percentage difference rule of thumb to go by if there are zero comparable sales.  For example would an 8.0 be worth 50% of what a 9.6 is or less...if there are no sales to go by.  I wasn't really asking for what a specific book was. I just mentioned mine as an example and apparently have confused everyone. lol I've run into this situation before and I always wondered.   From what I've gathered from all the responses...there is none.  

A decision you think it’s worth to you as a collector, what are you willing to obtain it..can you find a raw copy at convention easily, LCS raw that looks good, graded copy isn’t everything out there. Know the details, and know what you want. Best of wishes, but the decision is yours..

On 2/22/2023 at 4:28 PM, nepatkm said:

A decision you think it’s worth to you as a collector, what are you willing to obtain it..can you find a raw copy at convention easily, LCS raw that looks good, graded copy isn’t everything out there. Know the details, and know what you want. Best of wishes, but the decision is yours..

Been looking for a raw forever.  As an 8.0 I'd only buy graded if the price was right.  I wouldn't ever buy one that I thought was 8.0 and grade it. You know what I mean. I'm learning more about collecting graded books every day.  It's fun to me but I only like the rare ones which makes it a bit more exciting.