• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this book trimmed?
3 3

7 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2023 at 12:37 PM, WilliamLunt said:

I'm suspicious and clueless thanks.

fc.jpg

fc_ll.jpg

fc_ur.jpg

fc_lr.jpg

fc_ul.jpg

trim_5.jpg

trim_4.jpg

trim_3.jpg

trim_2.jpg

trim_1.jpg

One of the things that must be determined with trimming is whether just the cover is trimmed or if both the cover and the pages are trimmed. Measuring the book with a ruler can be helpful, but as Other Eric pointed out, many books can be miscut at the factory, which often leads to some potential head scratching.

In addition to this, some Silver Age Marvels were trimmed years and years ago, so that can make it even tougher to determine trimming. 

Are you thinking about submitting this book to CGC? hm

You're measuring the book at a smidge over 6-3/4", but it doesn't look like the zero on the ruler is matched up perfectly to the right edge of the comic, maybe 1/8" more book than indicated.  I measured a few Marvel 12 cent issues and got about 6-7/8".  So it might be the right width.

Usually on trimmed copies, the comics code box is in danger of being encroached, as a result of the trimming.  Look how far from the edge that code box is.  Looks kind of legit to me. 

A back photo could help, as it is definitely mis-wrapped, the M in the word Marvel at the masthead hiding a bit, and too much border to the right of the aforementioned code box.

The second to last photo shows some small bumps/protrusions along the right (long) edge that appear to be present on all pages including the front and back covers.  I've seen this in some of the Silver Age Marvels I have, so I don't think it's trimmed on that edge.

Edited by Tom789
Clarification

I think it's suspect. The right edge looks roughed up like it may have been trimmed (razor snags). 

Looking at the profile of the right edge, are the cover and inside pages perfectly flush and straight... like a chop cut? If so, that is not a good sign.