• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed! Randall Dowling's House of Unusual Gems- paperbacks, digests, and magazines
8 8

466 posts in this topic

This is going to be a bunch of fun books that I've picked up over the years!  Many have direct connections to comics via artists or content and will cover from the 40s to the 80s.

The usual rules for this thread apply:

-No HoS or Probation list buyers

-No buyers that I have on ignore (you probably know who you are but if you're not sure, I'll let you know)

-I will ship to Canada but will have to quote shipping options.

-Payment via Paypal or Zelle.

-Shipping via USPS Priority for $13 for the continental United States.  Shipping for Canada will be quoted.

-First :takeit: in the thread wins and prevails over pm offers

-Returns accepted for 14 days after delivery

Feel free to pm with offer or questions.  I'm always open to reasonable package offers. 

My Kudos thread is here for those that don't know me:

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Randall Dowling
Round 3

Recap of what's left from previous rounds:

Page 8

• Monarch Books 138, Joseph Foster, Stephana, 1959. VG/F. $18  Sold to Surfing Alien @60% off

Page 9

• Berkley G-34, Donald Henderson Clarke, Alabam' (copy B), 1956. VG. $10  Sold to Surfing Alien @60% off

Page 10

Page 11

Page 13

• For Men Only June 1957, VG-. $15
  • Man's Best March 1962, Fine. $150  Sold to Jack Linguini BOGO
  • Man's Daring September 1961, FN-. $90  Sold to thehumantorch BOGO
  • Man's Escape April 1963, VG+. $75  Sold to thehumantorch BOGO
  • True Adventures February 1963, Fine. $150  Sold to Jack Linguini BOGO

Page 14

Page 15

Page 17

Page 18

Page 19

All books listed above are now "60% Off!!".

Updated 29 June 2023, 10:38 p.m.

A quick note on grading:

I'm doing my best to grade paperbacks and digests according to the typical rare and used books grading scale (Poor/Fair/Good/Very Good/Fine/Like New).

I'll grade comics and magazines according to the typical 10 point grading scale common to CGC books.

Ace F-156, Edgar Rice Burroughs, At The Earth's Core. NF (unread). Nice bright copy with a little wear around the edges. Otherwise, pages are clean and unmarked. Roy Krenkel cover art. $15  Sold to ThothAmon

Spoiler

Ace_001.thumb.jpg.2f77993a2d675b9ab99701ed5bc97014.jpg

Sold to ThothAmon

Ace F-159, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Moon Men. NF (unread). Nice bright copy with a little wear around the edges. Pages are clean and unmarked. Ed Emshwiller cover art. $15  Sold to Tupenny Conan

Spoiler

Ace_003.jpg

Sold to Tupenny Conan

Ace F-168, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Copy B). NF (unread). Nice bright copy with a little wear around the edges. Otherwise, pages are clean and unmarked. Roy Krenkel cover art. $15  Sold to Tupenny Conan

Spoiler

Ace_005.thumb.jpg.eda30792407429525eb5b48a65c09d46.jpg

Sold to Tupenny Conan

Ace F-179, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Pirates of Venus. Like New (unread). Nice bright copy, pages are clean and unmarked. Looks like it was just printed. Roy Krenkel cover art. $25  Sold to Dover

Spoiler

Ace_006.thumb.jpg.651be22093f97ae9edd9b57cd4a9746b.jpg

Sold to Dover

Personal Note:  This is the series that got me into collecting paperbacks all those years ago.  It's the series that featured a lot of great covers to these incredible stories and it's also the series wherein Frank Frazetta developed his style for fantasy illustration.  You can see the evolution of his signature as these progress.  Here's a nice copy of one of the early ones.

Ace F-180, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan At The Earth's Core. NF (unread). Nice bright copy with very minor surface wear, clean pages. Frank Frazetta cover art. $20  Sold to Tupenny Conan

Spoiler

Ace_007.thumb.jpg.502611dcc53ae82b3996de79964b06d8.jpg

Sold to Tupenny Conan

Ace F-203, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Beasts of Tarzan. NF (unread). Nice bright copy with a small smudge on the back cover. Frank Frazetta cover art. $10  Sold to Tupenny Conan

Spoiler

Ace_010.thumb.jpg.720202918ce28cd420053c7868d9fa03.jpg

Sold to Tupenny Conan

Ace F-204, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar. Fine (unread, almost like new). Nice bright copy with clean pages. Frank Frazetta cover art. $30  Sold to Tupenny Conan

Spoiler

Ace_011.thumb.jpg.0a1458320eac9ab916088f28d8facdec.jpg

Sold to Tupenny Conan

Ace F-206, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jungle Tales of Tarzan. Almost NF (unread). Nice copy with a few small bumps on the spine. Unmarked and clean pages. Frank Frazetta cover art. $20  Sold to Tupenny Conan

Spoiler

Ace_012.thumb.jpg.5c3b6105a36202f86aa23d6f12957ed1.jpg

Sold to Tupenny Conan